Thanks to Snow Japan - I won a free lift ticket at Myoko Kogen.

I first went to Myoko in 1995 and havent been since so it was good to go back!

I decided to take the kids out of school for a day for company!

We decided to go to Suginohara.

It snowed over night and had probably about 15 to 20cm of fresh snow to enjoy!

the road in

stemik_10.JPG

i love this sign

stemik_7.JPG

My daughter in the trees

stemik_9.JPG

My son in the trees

stemik_8.JPG

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
How was the snow Stemik? I went last year and it was epic but the official snow depths have kinda put me off going this year

apart from the new snow...it wasnt great... but there is snow most of next week so "pack your bags"

not huge, but it stayed fresh until lunch time....though it was a week day.

What i liked was the silver birch tress were so nicely spaced as being able to turn without fear of crashing into a tree.

Kids loved it, they cant do it in Hakuba (ski club rules) so they were able to let loose.

Cant really say becasue I havent been there for 14 years.

You can get a mountain pass that covers 3 mountains and linked by shuttle buses.

We decided Suginohara becasue the kids wanted to try the longest downhill in Japan. (8.5km) Though its very flat at the bottom.

NIK22,

Suginohara is a great place for boarding but I also feel that way about Akakura Kanko. It's a toss up for me because both have some pretty fun and not so dangerous tree runs (I find Suginohara is a little busier than Akakan and lunch isn't as good). Unfortuantely, the weekend of Feb28 - Mar1 one of the better runs will be closed at Akakan for some kind of competition. That would mean that Suginohara will probably be busier than it usually would otherwise.

Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
A day at both is a perfect solution!

I agree - if only a day trip then i would suggest buying the all moutain pass and visiting the 2 larger areas.
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
By the way... did anyone notice that Seki Onsen got 100cms of snow in the last 24 hours!? WTF! Why am I at work!

I bet thats a stable snow pack shifty

Yep, we've had some avalanche warnings but they still keep the lifts running up there.
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
NIK22,
Suginohara is a great place for boarding but I also feel that way about Akakura Kanko. It's a toss up for me because both have some pretty fun and not so dangerous tree runs (I find Suginohara is a little busier than Akakan and lunch isn't as good). Unfortuantely, the weekend of Feb28 - Mar1 one of the better runs will be closed at Akakan for some kind of competition. That would mean that Suginohara will probably be busier than it usually would otherwise.

There's always Ikenotaira or Seki Onsen too (not to mention Madarao, Tangram, etc. etc.)