Here's a question for you. Anyone here read all of the bible? Like ALL of it?

Any good? There must be some good stories in it.

This guy I used to know read it constantly. Like from cover to cover and then back to the beginning.

He reads nothing else.

I sepnt a number of years as a Sunday School teacher, so, yes I have read the thing from one cover (the front) to the other, strangely enough called the back, cover.

Plenty of good stories so long as you accept thet they are just that, STORIES. No guarantee of historical accuracy, or such, they are good stories.

the problem comes when people say that the stories are real. When asked why they believe that, the answer is "God tells us so in the Bible." So, they define a fact by using that same fact as evidence - not a good logical argument!

However, as a novel, the Bible is a good(ish) read!

Read it all.

Re read parts, particulary in the context of Bible study in my younger days.

It is hard to knock stuff you have not read or experienced - that is pretty judgemental. However if having read, or experienced something you feel it is not for you - then that is informed choice.

Some good lessons or thoughts contain in there - also some copius amounts of "hepzibah begat Aaron begat James begat...etc".

Also read the Book of Morman when I was about 16, as one of our friends father was a Morman Bishop, so we took the time to read and learn about our friends belief. None of us joined her church, although I did date a boy from her church for a year....;-)

Originally Posted By: thursday
I have lived next to that Cathedral.

Which cathedral was it?

About the bible, hmmm can't remember reading it other than bits in RE at school. Do they still teach that?
Originally Posted By: xxx
Originally Posted By: thursday
I have lived next to that Cathedral.

About the bible, hmmm can't remember reading it other than bits in RE at school. Do they still teach that?

same here. They still teach RE at school, I've worked in both Catholic and Protestant high schools back home and the Protestant RE curriculum is much better. It teaches about all the religions and doesn't push the rhetoric from any. i guess it should be renamed Cultural education. Catholic schools still obviously teach Catholic dogma, they do touch a little on the other religions but 99% of the curriculum is about the Catholic faith
Originally Posted By: keba
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Why has no-one made a video game of the bible?

Didn't Rod and Todd Flanders play one on "The Simpsons"

Yeah Bart was playing it with them..well he played it and said that they were a team so that made Rod and Todd happy! can't remember the name of it though, but they had to convert non-believers in it
Originally Posted By: Sister Mary Hotpants
I read it every day.

It is the best book there is.

friend

Believe me there are far better fantasy novels out there. Try Lord of the Rings as a good starter razz

I used to blame Mr JRRR Tolkien for infecting most modern SciFi books with the need to go on some really long, overly detailed, largely pointless, quest like journey.

I realise now that HE got the idea from the bible. The chosen peeps wandered around for ages looking for the promised land, which eventually with the aid of a charismatic dude, some Godly like pronouncements and more than a little magic they finally found it.

So the Bible is to blame. Arrrrrggghhh!

lol

I hated those LOTR books, I really did. I had to take an exam based on it and I just didn't get into all the crappy quest like journey nonsense. It annoyed me. Which didn't do well for the sitting down and studying thing.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
frannyo that's blasphemy!

Nothing is designed to make a person hate (with varied amounts of passion) a thing more than having to study it for a major examination at school. I can still remember having to dissect a couple of lines from Shakespeare's "Richard III" for my Leaving Certificate (end of High school) exam.
We were expected to be able to write a critical analysis of any one of a number of short passages from the play. To do that we had to be able to quote and analyse why a particular word was used, instead of a couple of other possibilities. All to do with someone's immagined perception of the "true" meaning of the words.

What a load of CRAP! Why did WS use "go" instead of "depart"?? Because he wanted to!
OK, now imagine spinning that answer out to 2-3 pages close written. No wonder I cannot take Shakespeare!