A question, were going to Japan in April, arriving on the 18th, and we really want to go skiing for a few days. Which place (if any) do you think would have the best conditions at this time of year? If we were to go skiing we would probably do it first. If theres going to be nowhere good to go we will prob give skiing a miss.

The way things are going this year you might be out of luck. Best bet is to check back closer to your arrival date. Some places to check are Niseko (although last year it would have been bust), Zao... (never been myself but heard it has a later season!) and Myoko (especially Seki Onsen). Good luck!

Couple of things to note when considering April in Niseko. From 6 April in previous years Hanazono and Niseko Village ski areas have closed (regardless of the amount of snow left) leaving only Hirafu amd Annupuri operating. The free shuttle bus around the village will have ceased operation by April as has the free night bus down to Kutchan. A large portion of the bars and restaurants will have closed. Also the western run ski schools will have mostly ceased operating.

On the good side there's generally still plenty of snow on the ground, the weather can be great and you'll nearly have the mountain to yourself. Although it is possible to get some powder in April generally it will be spring conditions.

Well written GN.

Acutally Hakuba is the about the same, most of the resorts have closed leaving only Goryu/47 and Happo open. There is limited operation and only the top of the mountains are open, except 47 which tries hard to keep the run open all the way to the base area.

Thanks for the info! We will definitely check a bit later on to see how conditions are looking.

Originally we were thinking of Niseko but I contacted a couple of people who do ski tours there and they said not to bother in April, so I dont really know what to think. But maybe would be safer to aim for somewhere in Honshu anyway so its not too far out of the way of everything else we want to do in case conditions are bad. I would like to see other parts of Hokkaido but think we might run out of time...

I should probably mention I have never skiied before! Although my boyfriend has. This might make a difference to where you think might be suitable smile

Hi caitlin, dont rely too much on advice from local (perth) travel agents. They tend to offer an incredibly limited list of (package) options, and they may also be biased towards who pays them more commission. rely on advice from here, and even make your own bookings, that way you can customise more and make good savings

Was referring to people who book ski tours for people, I guess travel agents in a way but not ones based in perth. We werent planning on booking any kind of tour, I just thought they might have useful info. But I can definitely see your point gareth, might not give the most unbiased information I guess! Im glad I did find this forum smile

Plenty of people from Aus and even Perth who have been over and experienced Japan and Japan snow on these forums - should be able to glean most of the answers you are after.

As has been said already the snow conditions at that late stage are variable, but I have been at that time of year in Niseko and we had an amazing time despite some bare patches appearing progressively, spring snow conditions, some bars and resturants closed and the buses no longer running... Having also been in hig season I now see the difference, but would I go back again late season? YOU BETCHA!

If the snow is there, then you shouldnt have too much trouble getting a last minute booking. Same is probably true for Hakuba but I have not experienced it myself - my bias toward Niseko is purely due to lack of experience down Honshu way.

For a firsttimer I think spring conditions would suit you very well. Spring is a nice introduction to the sport.

Quote:
Spring is a nice introduction to the sport.

I can see where you're coming from there Mamabear.
But I'm not sure heavy, slodgy, crusty snow conditions are a good introduction. Apart from it being more difficult than a nicely groomed slope, fresh snow doesn't hurt as much when you fall down! (And the first impressions of good conditions are much better).

It can be fun being out there in spring though in fine mild weather.

As for skiing in April in this area (Minamiuonuma/Yuzawa area of Niigata), most places in the town are usually closed come early April - and with less snow than usual this season so far, I would say that will surely be the case this season.

Places open after April if memory serves me correctly:

Iwappara - they go on as long as they can, usually a bit into April.

Kandatsu - same, I think

GALA Yuzawa - until early May

Kagura - until sometime in May

Naeba - not quite sure.

In fact, take a look at the archived Now reports to see how things have been the last few years.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/nowcalendar.php

For example, the Yuzawa reports for April and May last year.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/yuzawa-now-archive.php?month=04&year=2008

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/yuzawa-now-archive.php?month=05&year=2008

If you use that Calendar you can find archives for all the areas covered.

Good luck.

I went up to Hakuba 47 in mid april last year, the snow at the bottom was slushy and melting BUT there was still decent conditions up top. Should be able to get somewhere with decent conditions (for that time of year), pick a place thats high!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Nagano resorts are really going to need to build a better base over the next couple of months though for there to be much left by April.

that is so true!

Im hoping that because the 1st half of the season has been so poor, the second half will come up with the goods. It is often said in Japan that if the season starts good it ends bad and vice-versa. Having said that, doesnt look like theres much snow forecast for the coming week either...

Say we just rocked up in Japan on 18th of April, looked at this website and found a place with good conditions at the time (cos it sounds like that might be a good idea) do you think generally at that time of year it would be fairly easy to book accommodation at most resorts?

Caitlin - you're taking the right approach. Remember that many of us posting here have a lot of experience of skiing several seasons in Japan, and unlike me, some are actually living in the mountains.

Clearly, SJ posters know more than travel agents anywhere - and we have no vested interest in telling you anything about snow conditions but the way it is. Check here.

I think it is right that travel agents don't plan ski tours to Japan in mid April, as there's too much risk that conditions will be unskiable. However, plenty of us have skiing experience at that time, and I am hoping that the bulk of this season's snow is yet to come, especially for central Honshu. I suspect that if you are keen, one of the higher resorts in Honshu (no-one mentioned Shiga Kogen yet) should still be good enough for you. We'll see - as April skiing is a bonus here.

Even if you can't ski, you'll find April a good time to visit Japan.

SdS

Quote:
and we have no vested interest in telling you anything about snow conditions but the way it is

Totally

(.....though one or two people have been known to have that vested thing going on..... it's usually quite laughably transparent though wink )

Im pretty sure you will be able to ski somewhere in april - higher will be better - somewhere like shiga kogen or kagura. However, its unlikely you'll be getting fresh powder snow. That said, a beginner doesnt want to be skiing powder.

Originally Posted By: thursday
if you're a begginer and you hit bullet proof snow on every fall, would you be that keen? Falling on powder would be much more fun.

Been there done both as a beginner - yup ....powder is much nicer!
Slush is quite fine too - especially as it takes the speed off (a negative later on, but as a beginner can be good), but the bullet proof stuff - whew! Had some of that in Switzerland a coupla weeks ago and my cracked rib can atest to how comfortable that is to stack it on!