Next up, Naeba (in Yuzawa, Niigata Prefecture).

The forecast was for sun and that's what we got, there was hardly a cloud in the sky. Went with tokabochi who lives over the hill from me in the next valley and we arrived at Naeba around 9:15. I like Naeba - on a weekday when it's not busy. The snow is usually good, there's a good mix of courses, and the scenery from top on a day like today is great.

We haven't had any real good snowfall in this region for quite a while, and even Naeba is looking a bit thin on the ground and the snow that is there ain't the best right now. (I'm holding back there a bit - it felt like April!). Hopefully this coming weekend will dump a large amount of fresh fluffy snow to play in.

We had a fun time but both agreed that somehow Naeba seemed..... half closed. I'd say that more than half of the lifts were not moving. Admittedly most of the courses (that had enough snow) were accessible from the lifts that were running, but there were only a limited number of lifts moving and the routes to the courses available seemed quite limited. I understand lifts not running when a place isn't busy, but it just felt a bit too much. Quite sad really.

Anyhow, here's some photos taken from Naeba. Tokabochi took some more of the resort and I'm sure he'll post them sometime soon too.

More from me if you're interested in my galleries on this site.

muikabochi_1111.jpg

muikabochi_1159.jpg

muikabochi_1156.jpg

muikabochi_1122.jpg

muikabochi_1142.jpg

muikabochi_1117.jpg

muikabochi_1127.jpg

muikabochi_1123.jpg

muikabochi_1153.jpg

Originally Posted By: thursday
Damn. Muika scenery is definitely your thing. Ace.

Hold on isn't Naeba the number one resort for Japanese?

thats true. Naeba gets the most visitor numbers in the Japanese ski fields. about 1.4million per year

Always found that curious. It's not as big as Happo or somewhere like Shiga Kogen (if taken as a whole). I wonder why? Perhaps it's closeness to Tokyo has a lot to do with it.

Great pictures as always muika. thumbsup

Sugoi! clap

What a difference a fine camera and a good eye for a photo makes!

Oh well, I was with him taking those and here are just a few of my very 'normal' ones. You can see it looking spring like.

tokabochi_1.jpg

tokabochi_5.jpg

tokabochi_17.jpg

Nice pics as ever Muika, I reckon you'll have the Yuzawa photo comp tied up for this year.

I'm heading to Naeba next weekend, hope it snows a bit more in the lead up to next weekend

Originally Posted By: joshnii
Always found that curious. It's not as big as Happo or somewhere like Shiga Kogen (if taken as a whole). I wonder why? Perhaps it's closeness to Tokyo has a lot to do with it.

Great pictures as always muika. thumbsup

If taken as a whole then Naeba will still get more visitor numbers than Shiga Kogen and Hakuba Valley.
By the way Goryu gets more visitors these days than Happo.