It's a sad thing the perception that some have of travelling Aussies these days.

I did a lot of travel 10+ years ago and Australians were always welcome. Viewed as relatively unassuming travellers always out for a good time but on the whole quite respectful and fun to be around.

I am not sure what has caused the shift in perception or whether there even has been a shift. Alternatively, I wonder whether it is an attitude espoused by some who have had a bad experience with one or two Australians but which is contrary to the popular experience/reality. I have often found those people who tongue lash the unruly Aussie traveller the loudest are Australian themselves. Can often be a bit of snobbery involved.

Either way, the sentiments expressed by some vis a vis Aussies in Niseko is rather dissapointing. Lets hope a few positive experiences can change that.

this will be my first holiday overseas so I havent experienced "the aussie yobbo". however, Ive been to thredbo on numberous occasions and have never experienced it either (tho i'm quite conservative and tend not to hang around at the 'wrong' places)

Yesterday's snow was pretty bad at Nozawa. After work, no one wanted to bother practicing. Today's not bad, just cold and gassey /whinge ^_^.

In regards to cultural diversity, we've always had a lot of SE Asian people come in. The general pattern is:

Mid-Late Dec: Aussies/Brits

Early Jan: Japanese

Mid Jan: Aussies

Late Jan: Aussies/Chinese (HK)/Thai/Malaysian

The problem with Australians isn't so much the people, I know most people here prefer the liveliness of Australians over others. I think the biggest issue is the communication factor. The people here try to communicate but when a customer is misinformed due to bad communication and feel that they should be reimbursed, it kinda leaves a bad experience. If the customer takes on the responsibility of communication, it's not an issue but at a ski resort, mistakes aren't usually cheap. An example would be lift passes, you can get your lift pass at the hotel or at the vendors, here a 3 day pass means 3 consecutive days. That point isn't usually expressed clearly and people feel like they got done wrong. It's a different culture and a different language but it comes with a price. The negative perspective is only taken by those who have found themselves in these sort of situations and feel that they'd rather not have a repeat of the same thing. The above is more about communcation rather than specific nationalities.

(here's hoping I don't get burned for this!)

Yes, been in Foot a couple of times over the last few years when miscommunication resulted in some Aussie customers getting unnecessarily heated over an order that wasn't quite what they wanted. Things should be easier now that they have a Filipino barmaid though smile

Originally Posted By: samwillis5
It's a sad thing the perception that some have of travelling Aussies these days.

I did a lot of travel 10+ years ago and Australians were always welcome. Viewed as relatively unassuming travellers always out for a good time but on the whole quite respectful and fun to be around.

I am not sure what has caused the shift in perception or whether there even has been a shift.

We're starting to see Aussie travellers from the generation who have been guided and inspired by such glittering Australian Football League role models as Wayne Carey (cop-assaulting wife-beater) and Ben Cousins (ice-snorting gangster) and various rugby league sex-offenders. I love both sports but the deterioration in off-field behaviour and resulting impressions made on adoring young Aussie males is now clear for all to see in some of our young travellers.

I see. That makes sense I guess. My generation took our cue from David Boon (any man who can finish a carton on a Sydney - london flight and still stand up and act sober at a press conference on arrival is a natural role model), Merv Hughes, Mal Meninga and Dipper and co.

all managed to have a good time, even act the fool, but remained respectful, at least publicly, and were viewed in a jocular light.

Lets just blame it on Gen Y and be done with it!

In general, as always, the kids are alright.

It just the meat-heads are getting a bit meatier.

There are less of them involved in nature sports than other sports though, thankfully.

Back on topic, if there was any damage to Sapporo area snow bases, you'll be lucky to find it under this sensational dump!

clap

Hakuba probably only got an hour or two of rain on monday and only at the very bottom of the mountain. It snowed all night, rained from 6-8am and then turned back into snow and dumped all day. Probably 40cm of fresh snow on the mountain so I'm not sure where the Hakuba now guy got his figures from. He probably didn't go up on the mountain to check it out.

Today was pretty sick in the trees. Slightly heavy but very creamy and springy!

Okay Blade I am running with your on the spot report.

I emailed one of my friends today who is coming with us and told her we may not be able to ski while we are there but we will be able to ice skate down the slopes. She was not impressed lol

Originally Posted By: MikePow
Thankfully everyone has been very well behaved in Hirafu so far this winter.

Probably because it's so damned expensive now that all the idiots are going back to Bali instead razz
(yeah I know rich people can be idiots too)

Looks from all reports like the rain on Wednesday night and Thursday has done a fair amount of damage at Nozawa. Looks like there is a fair bit of rain on the 9 day forecast as well. Can anyone on the ground there confirm much/any damage?

How have other resorts held up?

Is this a particularly bad season or is occasional rain mid January the norm?

Lets hope for cold temps and snow during feb. A late winter!

Snow was pretty good in Nozawa on Wednesday.

Friend was in Yuzawa yesterday and said the snow was heavy and 'sticky'.

It wasn't raining here until last night but it is raining this morning. So basically we could do with snow.

This season so far I have not once had to shovel snow away from the front of my house. In fact, there's none there right now. On the rice field opposite, there's currently 40cm or so. This time last year there was over 2m. So you know that's where we are.

On a massively positive note, I expect 3m of snow in the next week. wink