I would use taxis much more if they weren't so crazy expensive.

Just now on tv in Niigata they are talking about the taxi business and how the "price war" is causing some companies to go out of business.

I may be missing something - tell me if I am - but I'd guess that the simply way too many numbers of taxis and the over the top expense of using them has more to do with it.

Even with the "lower prices" (wow!) I still don't use them.

Do you use taxis?

At least you can GET a taxi in Japan - try finding one in Perth!!!

We had one very interesting Taxi ride in Hong Kong a few weeks back. Jumped into the next one in the queue at the airport and noticed that the boot was quite full of 'junk' already....one suitcase fit in held in with a rope, and the other suitcase was propped up on the front seat. We climbed into the back seat and were fascinated the entire cab ride....I would lay money down the fellow was living in his car, it was FULL of 'stuff' and masses of newspapers everywhere. There were dangles from the roof and every sun shade was like a filing cabinet for paperwork. I counted no less than 16 earpieces for a mobile phone.

It was a freaky ride.

Perhaps it was a 'shop'?

Quote:
You pay for the lovely seat covers and driver gloves.

The seat covers covered by a sheet of see-through plastic, of course. And don't forget the drivers hat.

Get four people in one in London and its cheaper than the Tube (non-Oyster Card-thingy calculation for tourists).

In Kyoto, there is/was a taxi firm called MK who undercut all the others. I think they used to get death threats.

The black Prius taxis in Tokyo are cool. Dunno if they are any cheaper though.