Question for Go Native or anyone else that can help me. After our stay at Niseko we are spending a few days in Otaru, I believe that we have two option to get there, we can either take the bus back to Chitose Airport with our package and then make our way by train or we can get dropped off in Kutchen and catch a train directly to Otaru. What is the preferred way? is it worth going directly from Kutchen and naybe seeing a bit more of the country side? thanks

There are buses that runs from Niseko to Otaru. Cheaper and a little quicker than the train. Check with your hotel front desk when you arrive for bus stop and schedule information. Chuo Bus does the route, but other companies may also.

I'd say it's worth it going the coastal route. You 'll get to see the rugged sea cliffs and some small farming and fishing towns along the way. If you go back along the inland route, you'll never get to see that side of Hokkaido.

Okay, the Chuo bus schedule is here, but is in Japanese only. The bus starts in the Annupuri area, and heads past the Niseko View Plaza then heads out of town toward the coast. If you are at Higashiyama or Hirafu, you will have to find a way over to Annupuri or one of the bus stops along the route (View Plaza or Niseko town post office are probably the easiest other than Annupuri). The buses head out from the Annupuri ski area bus stop at 08:52, 13:32, and 15:52, and arrive at the Otaru station bus terminal at 10:55, 15:35, and 17:55 respectively. Cost is around 1600-yen per person.

Chuo are just ace.

I was en-route to Niseko, got off bus to take a wazz and have some sake, got on the wrong bus, realized before we got out of the carpark and I stopped the bus and jumped out. Looked for some Aussies and I was fine.

We did the trip Kutchan - Otaru a couple of years ago by train. It was an encghanting trip, follows the coast for quite a bit. I have pic here somewhere of some people surfing there with snow covering the "beach". If I can find it, I'll post it.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
However, Otaru is quite overrated IMHO and that canal is a joke rolleyes

lol I'm glad to hear someone say that. I thought I'd missed the point. I found the tumble-down fishing shacks along the train tracks near Zenibako on the way from Otaru to Sapporo far more interesting.

Otaru does have some damn fine cream and custard paffs though.

lol I must admit as a tourist we had been told you HAVE TO go to Otaru the canals a spectacular.

Sorry I didn't get it. Everyone was slipping and falling on the ice along the canal. I did however find the HUGE shopping centre much to Mr Snowhunters disgust. Did enjoy myself there though!!

We had the advantage of a local guide who happens to have been employed by JTB. He (and his wife) were great, showing us the places to see and not all on the beaten track. (His wife had been an exchange student here, stayed with friends of ours, and we were introduced by them)

Handy to get a local guide. They seem to be better than the guide books, and less commercial.

Have to agree that the canal was a bit OTT. However, there was a really nice glass shop/factory and some interesting back street glass workers to see.

That dunkel by Otaru Beer Company is an ace beer. I've drunk it many times in their Leibspeisse Bar under the Sapporo TV Tower where, I was recently told, you can do a two hour nomi hodai any time from 11am onwards for only 1800 yen. Requires further investigation.

Haven't been to their Otaru brewery yet though. Must go.