Hi,

We planned our first ski trip to Echigo-Yuzawa just before Christmas. Currently there's no snow in Yuzawa and the nearest snow we can find is Kagura. The question is how do we go from Echigo-Yuzawa to Kagura? how far is Kagura from Yuzawa? any bus services? how long does it take?

We have a 7 year old daughter and we're all beginners. Is Kagura good for beginners?

Thanks in advance.

• SnowJapan Moderator

Hello, and welcome

The Kagura Mitsumate ropeway is about 15 minutes by bus/taxi from Echigo Yuzawa.

The Kagura Tashiro ropeway is about another 10 minutes further on.

There are public buses going up there and you can also jump into a taxi at the station.

Personally I don't think Kagura is the best for beginners, but there isn't much choice right now. Perhaps the lower slopes of Naeba are better. (Naeba is a further 10 minutes).

Hopefully, surely, please, please there will be snow by then to open things up more.

Thank you very much, that was instant. We're just clueless as what Kagura is like. High in the moutain or on the flat? Guess it must be high as the snow is 80cm currently. We'd like to find out how accessiable is Kagura from Yuzawa.

• SnowJapan Admin

There is no ropeway at NASPA.

But you will be able to use their free shuttle bus down to the station (3 minutes) and then get to Kagura from there.

Hopefully by then, other places will be open - Gala Yuzawa, Iwappara etc. We'll just have to see fingers crossed.

Talking about NASPA, this might interest you:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/interviews-andrew-lea.html

That's interesting. We came to HK 12 years ago, only beautiful moutains here but no chance of snow. Most of our friends from HK goes to Niseko for ski.I am praying for snow and hopefully we can have a snow fight in Yuzawa.

• SnowJapan Admin

If you are staying at NASPA and they are unable to open their own ski hill, they may well have a bus service that takes people up to Kagura direct from NASPA. I think they had something like that a few years ago, though I may have that mixed up. I'll ask them when I am there in a few days and let you know.

Taxi will cost in the region of 2000 yen, if memory serves, from Echigo-Yuzawa station and the bus will be around 200 yen. The bus is often packed with standing room only so if you have kids maybe a Taxi is the best option. I just use the local buses right outside the train station, they don't charge you for taking your skis or boards

• SnowJapan Admin

I have just been at NASPA and apparently this year if they cannot open as planned - which seems almost certain at the moment - they will be providing a shuttle bus direct from the hotel to Tashiro (not Mitsumata).

They are currently preparing some information in English on this so I'd keep an eye on their website.

Thanks everyone for the information. I am thoroughly impressed. As we are flying from the "tropical" HK, we will be renting skiing equipments when we get to Yuzawa. This may sound silly but will we be able to rent equipments at Tashiro instead of renting them at NASPA then carry over to Tashiro?

p.s. Our daughter has her eyes on the sledge.

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes, I think so, but I believe the rental equipment shop at NASPA will be more extensive than at Tashiro ropeway station. I might be wrong there, anyone else?

Good if the hotel puts that on, don't know the place myself. Buses up from the station though there aren't that many - though if there continues to be almost no snow everywhere then Kagura will be getting real busy over Christmas.

If Tashiro gets crowded, is Naeba an option? I saw the report that they have 50cm snow at the base.

What is the altitude at Naeba? easy reach by bus? any good for beginners?

We are concerned about the lack of snow at Yuzawa next week when we will be there..........

• SnowJapan Admin

Naeba is an option, but I would suggest Kagura might be the better in these circumstances.

Here is information as well as forecast for Naeba

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resortdetail.php?resid=1

50cm at the base is artificial snow and only on one run. You'll see that we haven't had much snowfall at all in the last week or two. Real snow up top and you can actually ski down, but it's thin on the ground. Check out the Naeba Now page over the last few weeks to get an idea of how things have shaped up.

I am also concerned about the lack of snow! And lots of other people too of course. Unfortunately, there just isn't much yet. Fingers crossed and I hope the snow arrives in time for you to enjoy it.

They would probably not know, but they might 'ask' people to keep them there. Or say that if something goes wrong outside of their resort, it's not covered. Or whatever. No idea (as you can probably tell!)