At the risk of sounding Japanese, I'm interested in the omiyage (food) that you can get at ski resort towns. Are there any good special ones in the main resorts that you know of? I usually like them especially the manju type.

Any recommendations?

But wendy cake is talking about the food type of souveniers.

For an Aussie equivalent think about the gift boxes of Australian Macadamia's etc - it is that kind if thing. A specialty of the area, region or just a lovely treat packaged for gift giving in that lovely over the top, artful and beautiful Japanese way.

For Japanese employees who have the audacity to actually use some of their annual leave and go on a holiday it is obligatory to bring back omiyage for those poor work mates who had to work harder during their absence.

lol Explain that back home and you just get puzzled WTF looks!

Having laughed at that though, I do like some of them. Come to think of it, they often seem to be just awful or really yummy. The latter being the best of course.

I once went on a staff trip. It wasn't everyone. Just 1 night with a 4 hour journey there and back. The whole time was basically spent travelling, the enkai evening party, in the onsen..... and spending time (and money) on presents for people who were left behind! Struck me as very odd but not at all to the others.