Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I get blobs, but I am going for COMPACT.

I bought a new camera for trip mid year because I had a nasty fall with my thicker camera in my top left hand pocket. The fall itself was run of the mill n00b splat, but the camera slamming into my boob was not.

It hurt.

I also had ongoing problems that required invasive tests and treatments. So to avoid that in the future, I got the lowest profile camera I could find. It is only an 8 megapixel thing, but the shots are good enough for my purposes and I am unlikely to do damage if I fall on it.

Had not trouble with this one in the snow, but the previous thicker one ocassionally got too cold and shut itself off. After a short while in the jacket warming up it came back.

Ever considered an "in-between" camera? Like Super-zoom compacts. I'm not trying to sell them or anything (might seem like it lol) but the TZ-15 I’ve got takes much better pictures than a classic compact but is built round a compact's case. Obviously it’s not DSLR quality but it is a smaller camera that still takes great shots. That been said it’s not on the small side of compacts and seen as you mentioned the first camera was in your top pocket I'm assuming it was still a compact...might be best to ignore everything I just said!

Also seen a this is my thread I might hi-jack it a little (although it’s wandering about like a drunk at the moment anyway) and ask about Dakine gear. I use Dakine Harness’ and gloves for windsurfing and from my experience they are the best out there – never failed me. Hell they keep me hooked in tight even when I go flying over the sail…is their snow gear any good as well? Just curious as my pre-trip shopping list is getting bigger by the day. I'm thinking of investing in a hardshell backpack to carry my camera's around in, but I don't want anything intrusive. I might have to get my Jacket first and see what that offers.

M I ruined my first digital camera and video cam in Canada - it was just to cold for them and when we got back all our snow video sound like and engine running with sand in it and the camera simply died.

I then bought a Sony cyber shot I have a spare neck warmer and I wrap it up in that take it out take the photo's and then wrap it up again and stick it inside my jacket. It is now on it's 3rd ski trip.

I am a very amateur holiday photographer but my photo's are my memories so they are important to me!

I have a point and shoot Olympus mu something or other that is water proof, cold proof and drop proof. Pretty much handles everything I've dropped it in.....my pictures suck but I'm sure its me and not the camera!! lol

Just noticed that!!! Of course for THAT photo I spent hours getting the light and angles just right....putting on my make up so I would look just perfect!!! lol

After that though my photos sucked!!!! lol

I never had any trouble with the still camera but my vid camera needed some care. If you have been using it outside (-5ish or less) its fine, but when you take it inside to the warm cafe the big temp change causes condensation to form on the inside and the camera wont work till the whole thing warms up and dries out. Eventually I learned to leave it outside the building in my bag when I was going in for lunch. (I sat by the window I left my bag outside so I could see it most of the time)

Originally Posted By: thursday
actually actually, if you have a camera bag, it's padded and zipped up, the warm air won't penetrate unless you open it. Better than leaving it outside and forgetting about it after a few beers.

which is exactly what i would do! doh