Hiya guys, I'm a complete noob to skiing/boarding in Japan, although ski regularly in Europe & the US. I've been interested in skiing Japan for a couple of years (great timing now ashamed), but can't get a week until beginning of April. Could you folks advise of what sort of snow conditions I could expect that time of year? I'm wondering whether it's too big a risk to come all the way from the UK if there's not rock solid snow conditions in April....some expert advice is needed! worship

Originally Posted By: tommyleather
Thanks Mike, just the advice I was after....even if it wasn't the answer I wanted. Looks like I'll have to wait another year.

Sorry forgot to mention that this is for my part of Hokkaido.

I was there April 2007 and loved it. Some fresh, but mostly one big slushy by lunchtime below the top of Ace Quad. I loved it, as a beginner at the time - it was nice and slow for me.

I would go back in April, but if you are looking for that rock solid (is there any such thing) POW then stick to Feb.

Awesome response, thanks guys. I've had slushy/wet snow for the last couple of trips, just been unlucky with hot weather in Austria last year and then Lake Tahoe the year before so I need some decent snow this year. I was hoping the season might last a bit longer in Japan, but seems the same. Think I'll hold out and get some of the famous powder January 2010...it's a long time to wait though.

Oh and hello wave

For anyone considering coming to Niseko in April there's a few things you need to be aware of. By then the free shuttle bus around the village has usually ceased operation so make sure your accomm is within easy walking distance to the lifts (it's not like there won't be vacancy). The free night bus to Kutchan will have ceased operation also. From April 6th Hanazono and Niseko Village have in previous years ceased operating. Only Hirafu and Annupuri keeping lifts running and mid week the lifts open may be limited. Also many of the bars and restaurants around town will have closed already. On the bright side the weather can be great and you'll practically have the mountain to yourself.

Mate you know JMA is in english as well?

Closest town to Niseko ski area is Kutchan which is found in Shiribeshi. Don't look at Sapporo for the weather here as it is very different.

Thanks Go Native!

I'd found the English link, but then it was asking for the prefecture... my only recollection of any of the names from my first trip to Niseko last year was Sapporo... Shiribeshi is exactly what I was looking for!

Much appreciated.