I was hungry just before and opened a packet of crisps that were in my cupboard. Half way through I was looking at the packet and they were from last year with a sell-by date of December 07. Tasted fine though I am a bit more wary of finishing them off!

How far past a sell by will you eat/drink something?

Depends on what it is.

I bought a load of stuff in Shanghai from a regular supermarket, got it back to Japan and found that all of it was long out of date! Unbelievable it was. Had to chuck most of it cos it was omiyage.

I would say 3 months over date is okay BUT a year HECK I don't know ALTHOUGH I would say with potato chips they probably have so much salt and preservative that they would be fine.

In the olden days your nose was the use by date regulator.

sell by and use by are very different!

A sell by date can apply to food that will last for a very long time after sale - potato chips would be one of those. If they taste OK and are not stale they would be safe to eat, but usually these LOOOOONG shelf life applys to items that don't give you much in the way of nutrition (different debate).

What annoys me is when supermarkets do not rotate stock. I told an assistant at a Woolworths store in an upmarket suburb that they had sliced packaged ham on the fridge case shelf that was 2 months past it's use by date and GREY in color - his response was "really?...oh OK...I will tell my manager." OK - how about taking it off the shelf so no-one buys it?

got in before me MB.

I'd be more worried if it had a Use By Date....things like milk, eggs etc shouldn't really be used after the Use By Date has expired. But crisps, if they weren't soft, tasted ok, the bag was still sealed etc.....should be ok

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Does anyone else always grab items from the back of the shelf in the supermarket? The ones at the back always have longer sell by date.

they should be if the store is good with their stock rotation, however as MB said, sometimes the pimply teenagers who stock the shelves just bosh the new stuff in, pushing the old stuff to the back...always check the date even from the back
Originally Posted By: veronica
I was hungry just before and opened a packet of crisps that were in my cupboard. Half way through I was looking at the packet and they were from last year with a sell-by date of December 07. Tasted fine though I am a bit more wary of finishing them off!

How far past a sell by will you eat/drink something?

I recently had some manuka honey from NZ which was 3 years past the dat. It was brown and tasted like sweet mud. Anyone know if it ws off? I've neve had Manuka before and the brwon was like it was surely the quirk.

That reminds me, actually in the UK we normally eat christmas puddings that our two or three or more years out of date as they become tastier with age just like wine.

Anyone else from the UK do that?

Actually time to get my order in for xmas pud and cake, time to phone home!

Originally Posted By: (voted) best skier in hakuba - 2nd year running!
Xpuds are awesome. Can't remember when I last had one.

I eat them every year without fail, always get them sent over to me, although this year I am out of xmas pud, hopefully I can get a couple sent over, if not have to try and make it myself!