• SnowJapan Admin

First of the snow making for Naeba this weekend, and here are some pics. They plan to open that run in front of the hotel on 22nd November.

Thanks to Hayashi-san.

NaebaNow_132.JPG

NaebaNow_133.JPG

NaebaNow_134.JPG

NaebaNow_135.JPG

Wooohoooo!!!!!!! less than 2 months to go!!!!

I thought the temp's needed to be much much cooler before they could make snow.. from memory the temps at that level are about 10degrees during the day?!

I think these machines are different to regular snow canons in that they actually spew out the "snow" as opposed to spraying a fine water mist into the sub-zero air and letting nature work its magic.

Ask a stupid question here but wont that man made snow melt, as the temps are still way to high for snow to survive without melting during the day at least? Or do they just keep on pumping it out until the real snow actually hits?

Sorry for my ignorance, but unless the temps are not much above freezing or the ground has refrigerators under it how is the snow going to not melt?

Snowdude - laws of thermodynamics - the snow in theory would melt but what you have to remember is that snow is a very good insulator of heat/cold - thus the snow beneath is keeping the top layers cold during the day and at night, when the temps drop to about 2/3c then it refreezes.

• 2 weeks later...