Gonna in Japan in the middle of November. Have a questions.

Thanks. Is that one and only location? We'll go to Japan firstly, and want to see max sights of ur country and culture. I hope that it will be superb fun! We're planning to stand in Tokio for 1 or 2 nights and then go snowboarding on first Japan snow.

I see Karuizawa is open from this weekend although its only currently a 400m long course and all man made snow. Easy to get to from Tokyo in about an hour on the train. you can see a picture of what its currently like on the Karuizawa Prince Homepage.

Thanks for answers. I think we should go to Kagura or Naeba mtn. Is it real to enjoy a good REAL snow there in 20th dates of November? Whats normal snow depth level for that time? And have we any chances to go in backcountry? As I can see mtn Kagura and Naeba located near each other, or not?)

• SnowJapan Admin

Hi cab9

Kagura and Naeba are connected via a gondola - however, that won't be operating at that time. Both Kagura and Naeba plan to open 22nd November. Realistically that will just be the man-made snow at the bottom of Naeba (about 900m long narrow course), while more - real snow - should hopefully be open up top at Kagura. Obviously how much of the resort areas they open will be depend on how much snow they get until then

These pages will hopefully help with visualising it all

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/japan-ski-town-maps/naeba/naeba.html

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/maps/japan-map-and-satellite-photos/niigata-prefecture/naeba.html

friend

Well I am busy crunching the numbers on my first japan snow trip.. Sorry for the threadjack but any idea on how the snow will be like and is it worth the gamble for booking a trip this early in the season ??

I am planning of going to the hilton but I am also thinking of Australia House as well

Any advice you folks can give would be great (I find this whole site very useful)

Folks, I have planned a trip to Austria in this dates, where I could find a lot of snow, and its rather closer to my home. But my good friend give me free two 2 way tickets to Japan. I dont know when we will have another chance to get to your country. To cross pleasant with useful I wanna get there with my snowboard, couz snowboarding is a huge part of my life. I had bothered to ride in covered all-season center and wait for winter(in last 2 seasons winter in Moscow was very warm, I saw snow on our local slopes only in February). As I have said a have 2 tickets to Tokio and this is my chance, what I should to do? May be go to Australia or smth else? Or just enjoy Tokio and other parts of country wink

Since we assume that you can now come later - i.e. after you've been to Austria - you should have a better chance of getting decent snow in Japan. Unless it is a VERY late season (and there is no evidence that's likely so far...) by mid-late December you should have choice on where to go.