I wonder if it's just the usually kind people in my town or a general thing? There's a few zebra crossings near where I live, not too busy places. But cars often just seem to ignore the people standing on the side of the road waiting to cross. Often is the time I've stopped to let someone cross, but car after car in the other direction just carry on.

I feel a bit silly stopped there....

In Japan cars do not have to stop at zebra crossings, unlike the UK. Its in the 'rules of the road' handbook.

The zebra crossing is just a recommended safe place for pedestrians to cross, but they have to wait for a gap in the cars.

I did not know that either.

I see why they have crossing guards on some of them in Tokyo!!! <lightbulb moment>

Seems a bit silly marking the road for a crossing and then not making a road rule for cars to give way to pedestrians on that marked area...

Once they are on the crossing though you need to give way, can't just run the little buggers down! Although I've been sorely tempted at times to do the country a public service and mow down a couple of oldies who seem to move at a top speed of 50m/hr.

Just be careful you don't get rear ended by the old boy behind you who was not expecting you to stop for the people though!

I am teaching my eldest son to drive at the moment, and I found a few 'new' road rules re giving way to pedestrians and roundabouts that are different or just new since I got my licence (shhh!) 22 years ago.

No wonder you're so grumpy early in the morning, then shifty stir

FWIW, my first licence was a motorcycle licence in the vintage year of 1966 (I still have it, laminated, in a box somewhere, get it out now and again to prove how young I am!)