Economic panic - Trader Gallery

I wonder if the newspapers have hundreds of "trader with head in hands looking very concerned" photos that they just come up with at times like these. Lets collecting.

article-1069374-02EAD5D600000578-681_468

_45082453_eef2fce6-853c-4a81-acc1-4d3f55

_45082503_d30890e8-7692-49a6-9e5d-9477fb

TraderWorried.small.jpg

_160188_trader_head_in_hands_150.jpg

_157797_trader_puts_his_hand_to_his_head

Looking at the exchange rate between UK Pounds and Yen, the pound has plummeted too, it was at 172 to the yen. Can someone with knowledge explain to me why it seems all the western currencies are dropping but the yen seems to be relatively stable.

That's a good one. It's all very confusing to me. Seems like the US is basically giving the banks a bunch of money for bad debt. So they're essentially increasing the money supply. This makes money cheaper. They're also decreasing the interest rate, which further makes money cheaper. All this shouls spell INFLATION. Weak dollar, strong yen. Europe seems to be experiencing the same problems and following a similar monetary policy which might explain weak European currencies but Euroland is pretty much a mystery to me. I want to know what's going to happen with the yen/Can$ rate. Countries like Canada and Australia are also seeing big hits to their currency because the price for raw materials (especially oil) has come down and the demand for them should further decline since we're entering a recession I guess. I don't know if this explains why the yen seems to be doing so well. Maybe Japan is a bit insulated from the problems of the west (though you wouldn't know it looking at the NIKEI). Certainly Japan is not reliant on raw material exports the way Can and Aus are so maybe that helps.

I've got a wack of yen here and a partially crippled portfolio in Canada. I'm half tempted to send the cash home and double up my money on the North American markets since they're obviously down and the yen is up. But the yen might gain even more strength over the next year or two as inflation kicks in, and the North American markets might continue to fall for a while. The other option is to cash up and spend everything on gold and burry it in the backyard. Hmmm...

yen was up to 250 to the pound not long ago (6 months ago?) but is now 170 as you say. I sent some dough at 210 and wishing I held on another month or two but you never know whats coming. Im now thinking abuot sending more but the rate is plummeting every day, maybe one day it will bounce back up to 200, or maybe its gonna go down to 5 yen per pound I can go can back to uk and retire wink

Realistically though, strong yen is going to cause huge troubles for jp companies exporting goods (like mine). I dont know what effect that will have on exchange rates. Hopefully my salary wont suffer and I can enjoy a nice rate or exchange sending home for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...