Max online: turning into a skype button?!

Hey I was wondering if anyone else had this and if SJF could let me/us know what might be causing this. Hope you don't mind me posting here.

On the right hand side in the Forums Stats part of the page, on the right, there is a line called Max Online. On my computer, just recently the date part of that has changed into a skype icon and a dialing button. Strange! I have recently re-downloaded skype so I am presuming it has something to do with that. Using IE7.

Any ideas?! Thanks!

• SnowJapan Moderator

We had someone else ask about this last week. It seems that with recent skype download installations, it automatically puts an add-in to IE7 without you knowing about it and for some reason (no idea why), it changes that date into skype buttons. Very strange.

To get rid of this annoyance,

Tools

Internet Options

Programs

Manage Add-ons

When you get to that part you will probably see 2 Skype add-ons in the list. Disable them. I think the one doing the silly stuff is called:

Skype add-on (mastermind)

Do all your OK's to confirm it all and then close the browser.... next time you open it, the skype stuff should not be there.

I hope that helps.

Tumpty tum. MSshiteware (trademark) is precisely that. Just because it is installed on your computer and the feather-head "experts" who pay themselves gazillions insist that this is the only way, does not mean you have to use it.

I use FireFox as a browser, and Eudora for email. The only Microshiteware running on my computers is the OS.

You are right, I have a pathological hatred of Internet Explorer!

stir

Actually, no, but the only reports are from IE, there are enough FF users who also use skype that there should be some reports circulating, not seen any in my travels through the ether, so draw the conclusion that the problem isn't occuring with FF. If I'm wrong, I'll accept that, but no need to cr@p in my neck!

I have - No IE, No Skype = No Problem!

Great. It went terrible for a while last year with loads of static-type noise but the latest version is fine. I've got a cordless headset (Plantronics CS-50) so I'm not attached to the computer while I'm talking. Expensive but worth it.

I use skype for almost all calls now, international and domestic. I am not sure if mobile phones are compatible here yet with skype but many of my friends in the UK use skype from their mobiles to to call my PC skype.

Qulaity is really good unless the other person is on a remote line in australia or other country with sub standard internet.

The Skype dial thing is an addon that now comes with the Skype install (it used to be a separate download) that allows you to dial numbers directly from your web page. I use it a lot from my contacts page in GMail. I love it. On FF there is a Skype button on the toolbar that turns the feature on and off - it's annoying on some web pages.

Occasionally it gets it wrong and ignores a number or picks up a number that isn't a phone number. Interesting that that only IE has the problem, since it's the plug in that has to decide what is a phone number. The IE plugin must be dodgy. Perhaps Skype hates IE too?

so, you have evidence to the contrary?

A quick google shows up a preponderance of references to IE problems but far fewer to problems with FF. Not zero, I acknowledge.

Far less a matter of opinion than the Hak/Niseko "debate".

There are empirical measures for browser performance, conformance with standards etc.

FWIW, I will continue to promote FF where it is demonstrably better than the (many) alternatives - even though some of these are merely skins to IE.