Legally, you are breaking the law if you install academic versions without being entitled.

Practically, your chances of being caught are near zero, because the people who police this are more interested in pursuing the "big end" of town (ie businesses with many employees) for licencing breaches than they are chasing people with one or two PCs at home.

Fact is, home users are unlikely to be able to pay the fines anyway, so the enforcement costs are unlikely to be recouped in the fines.

However, if you are looking at, say office suites, you could do a lot worse than open office (free) or compare office (not free but damned cheap) both of which claim (not guaranteed , at least by me) compatability with MS office suite (at least the 2003 version, not the Vista version)

Interesting that. What does entitled involve then? If my sister teacher buys the software for me. And even then, anyone can basically install them and use them - I presume they are 100% the same software...?

I believe sometimes the product is different - less fonts, inability to use some addins etc. Best to check for what you are looking for - and if you are a student you are valid anyway. smile

Basically, the licences are so different between vendors, it is almost impossible to generalise.

However, given that, the usual thing is that the user has to be a full-time student or a full-time teacher. It is usually a matter of making a statutory declaration (legal statement) or signing a digital statement (by agreeing to the conditions) that you are qualified to install the academic version.

Of course, I must add the universal disclaimer here. These comments are NOT, and must not be construed as, legal advice. You MUST make your own investigative efforts in your own juristiction, and MUST NOT rely on the accuracy of this advice!

Basically you need a letter from your institution. Some of this stuff is time dependent, and will expire after a year. ER Mapper and some maths software did that to me.

Open Office is very good if you want to avoid Microsoft Office, and its free. Neither can handle objects as well as my creaking 1999 version of WordPerfect. Grrrrr :mad:

Alternatively, take a holiday in Indonesia or Thailand....

Yep, bag, same stuff but different conditions of use.

eg, if you use it to produce a business spreadsheet, technically you are in breach. MS, fer example, embed stuff in the files to show what version of the program (and possibly what licence) created the file. If they wanted to, they may be able to determine whether you are in b reach by inspecting the files.

However, that's unlikely unless they think they could get some payback (over and above the cost of the investigation and prosecution) from the effort.

Most academic versions of Office do not have Access included, if that's a concern - it is for me, because that's one really important part of the package.

I actually use Compare office, files compatible with MS (I transfer files regularly between home, using compare, and work where the corporate standard is MS all the way down the line).

Legal disclaimer - see previous statement.

Disclaimer! Disclaimer! Disclaimer! Disclaimer!

OK, I have never seen it, although I have heard of some schools where the BSAA (who enforce the licencing rules) have visited, noted licences owned and then checked for licences used! That caused a heap of problems for the first couple of schools. As for a private person, it is likely ONLY if the BSAA thought they'd make enough out of it to justify the expense and time involved.

Disclaimer! Disclaimer! Disclaimer! Disclaimer!

Just remember the disclaimer. Some stores require you to make a stat dec to the effect that you are a full-time student. Not sure how often they check, though.

IF, however, you are using the software for business, you should be VERY careful. It could send you bankrupt in one easy step.

I'm going to tell the software people about JA and his kind advice on their products. They will be happy.

Seriously though some of those Academic versions are really cheap - about 50% of the normal version.

On a similar subject, are "upgrade versions" basically the full version but with a different key code that makes sure you are eligible for it? It's not updating files, more like wiping out the old version and installing the new (right?)

r45

That depends on the developer. Some require you to uninstall the original, others just write straight over the old files, replacing them as they go.

Most upgrades will include a check to see that you are entitled to use the upgrade rather than buying a new full version.