End of popcorn at the movies?

Seems some cinemas here in the UK are beginning to ban popcorn, at least for some showings and selling them as popcorn-free screening times. Some places banning it completely and taking if off the menu.

Even though the profit on every pound spent on popcorn is apparently 90p, and it encourages drinks being bought as well.

While I like popcorn myself, I'm not keen on being surrounded by people noisily scoffing the stuff from these huge tubs that last for the entire movie.

Why are they banning popcorn? Because of the noise? Surely they should ban the sale of the giant bags of crisps then??!! The rustle you get off of a bag of crisps is much worse than a popcorn rustle!!

I just wish they'd sell caramel popcorn more instead of the salt kind.

Popcorn is also healthier than a bag of crisps, maybe not with all that caramel I like though!! biggrin

Quote:
Cinemas suck coz of those munchers, talkers, whisperers, and filthy seats.

you know it's one of the great things about Japan, large clean comfy seats with great legroom, almost dead silence in the theatre - no whispering - nothing.
I love watching movies here, the most considerate movie going public imaginable.

pop corn? strange decision as the theatres made huge profits on pop corn. Never eat it myself though so don't care.

Movie Popcorn is usually just GROSS!

Wrappers can be a bit of an issue as well - so can noisy lolly bags. I tend to divide up an assortment of pre-purchased lolly's that do not have wrappers (snakes, cobbers, jellybeans etc) into small ziplock bags for my kids. That way they can have thier munch without making all that noise!!

I discovered Gold Class Cinema's a few weeks back - recliner lounges, tables in between each pair of chairs for your hot food to be served. You pre-order before the movie begins and wait staff bring you in your alcohol and food during the movie. The cinema seats a maximum of 30 people. AWESOME!! It was comfortable, luxurious - and it was over 18's ONLY!!! NOW THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!! Not cheap, but worth every cent!

Originally Posted By: SG
Quote:
Cinemas suck coz of those munchers, talkers, whisperers, and filthy seats.

you know it's one of the great things about Japan, large clean comfy seats with great legroom, almost dead silence in the theatre - no whispering - nothing.
I love watching movies here, the most considerate movie going public imaginable.

pop corn? strange decision as the theatres made huge profits on pop corn. Never eat it myself though so don't care.

totally agree. Movie going here is great. Its so quiet, no one bugging you. BUT what is it with the cinemas that they only assign seats when the theatre is not busy?? Anytime I have been and the theatre is full, its general seating but when its empty its allocated seats??!!