The smoking and non-smoking pubs or sections in pubs was probably the most rational and reasonable solution to meeting the needs, desires and wishes of the community - but the legal @$$ covering with regards to workers compensation claims by the workers of a smoke filled environment is what killed it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
pubs are not for smokers they are for people that wish to drink beer.

was exactly what I was gonna say!! Pubs are for Drinking in, not smoking. The fact that smoking has grown up alongside drinking in pubs is by the by. No one is stopping people who choose to smoke from smoking, all they are doing is giving back the right of non smokers to choose NOT to smoke. If you want a fag then you can go outside and smoke in the fresh air until your heart is content (and blackened and clogged), leaving us non-smokers with a smoke free environment to enjoy a beer with friends.

The only problem now is that you can actually smell how bad a pub really is!!

Seems to me there's a missing opportunity for cig companies - if they can create a menthol cig, then the next logical step is to create a cig with an alcohol content and desired taste e.g. tia maria cigs for old gals, tooheys cigs for bogans, Rum or whisky cigs for oldies (like Soubs!), Jaegermeister cigs for chicks (leg openers!), etc.

It would also allow cross advertisement: never seen a Toohey's drinker without a pack of Malboro reds tucked in his sleeve!

The obvious effect is that we don't have to put up with smokers in pubs and clubs.

(The term 'smoking a Fag' has all sorts of connotations these days! lol)

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Pubs are dieing.

Good! thumbsup

Smoke free, family friendly social drinking establishments are popping up in their place. Fark tradition and the selfish coughing minority.
razz

Excellent. Big Brother Pat was ripped from Perth at about 12. His vision of the Albion Tavern was brown men in brown suits and brown hats drinking brown beer.

The last time I travelled the Stirling Highway, all the pubs were dead. For a free country, Ozzies are real experts at narrowing choice. A latte in Subiaco, or wog thumping cruiser in Freo. Get Yore Kulture Hear.

The Albion is still pumping Soubs! cheers

We go there for dinner regularly - warming fire flickering in the fireplace. Good pub food with a few drinks - and no haze of ciggie smoke hanging in the air.

Papabear heads down there with the Rugby Boys regularly for a boozer - and when I (as the only wife willing to get in the car at 2am and drive drunk men safely home to thier toe tapping wives)go to pick them up the punters are spilling out, the car park is full, and the smokers are outside having a quick durrie before rejoining thier mates at the bar.

On another dining note - we had dinner not far from the Albion at a little resturant called Tsunami last night - awesome food! Fabulous sashimi share plate, the Wagyu beef was divine, and the kids really enjoyed thier shabu shabu. No smoking in there either stir

I detest smoking. The research and facts have been out for over 30 years that it does damage and yet apparently its still cool. You can say "It's my choice. I know the dangers" all you want, but it doesn't stop the fact that most (not all, most) smokers are inconsiderate. Given that smokers roughly equate to about 10-15% of the population, having 85-90% of the population put up with their stale toxic air is a hard cop.

I like having a drink and a dance, what I didn't like was going to bed the next day with my eye's burning, my clothes smelling and holes in my new jacket, where I brushed past someone's fag.

2 years ago smoking was banned in Queensland in all pubs, clubs, sporting venues and so on. The hotel industry cried foul at first, until they realised they would no longer have to pay the damages for bar staff having to breathe second hand smoke, the burns in the carpet, the cleaning of aircon filters ever week etc. In the past 2 years, I've gone to the pub more times as a result.

actually smoking outside in Austraia shouldn't be such of a problem, all my smoker mates back home complain because its colder than a nun's tit but in Oz the climate would be fine for an Al Fresco ciggy

The fire Mamabear. Don't forget the toxic fumes pumping into the air.

If its organic matter burning through a fag, then it's going to kill your grandchildren at 50 paces. If its organic matter (charcoal) on the barbie, then everything's fine. If it's toxic, carcinogenic carbonised meat or snaggers, then it's perfectly OK to feed it to your family. One look at a fag packet though and everyone's pretending to be dead.

I used to like the Captain Sterling. A pie, a pint and a smoke. Can't do that now naughty

I think the main difference Soubs is all the chemicals that have been added to your organic matter that are highly carcinogenic. The amount of chemicals added to tobacco to make it burn longer etc etc are unbelievable and most of em are extremly bad for your health

Went to the Cap'n Stirling last week too Soubs! Bought a couple of glasses of wine with the girls after seeing Mamma Mia at the Windsor. It was tuesday night, and while not packed there were plenty of people there!

And a properly flued open fire is a lot less of a problem - the smoke is sent directly up the chimney. As for a charred steak - well...not really my idea of a decent meal!!

Tubby - colder than a Nun's Tit here right now!! But you are right there are plenty more opportunities for alfresco puffing here. However news today on the radio was a proposal to BAN SMOKING IN ALFRESCO DINING situations in Northbridge. Bit harsh that they are leaving no where for smokers to be. I prefer it smoke free these days, but at this stage if there is an alfresco option and I take it I know that I am running the risk of sharing the space with a smoker - if I am concerned I choose an inside table and know that it will be guarenteed smoke free.

You can go anywhere you want, and have whatever you want wherever. A totally smoke-free environment. There are plenty of places to choose. Pubs are for smokers and drinkers. Bugger off. And for those of you who have ever sparked up a splif :finger: Hypocryte.

Soubs,

You come off like you take this as a personal attack. No-one is questioning your right to smoke and enjoy it. Some of us might not want to join you in your cigarette - and we will move away from the 'zone'.

In a resturant we could get stuck, no smokers when we came in - but half way through our meal someone at the next table lights up. Hard to move away quickly - and why should we..

In a pub it is a lot easier to move away from the person who is smoking hence my lack of objection to having smoking and smoke free area's in pubs.

The problem is not the wowsers, not the people who want to chuck a hissy fit because someone lights up in thier vicinity when they can easily move - the problem is the employer can not afford the health care and insurance demands of employing people to work in a cigarette saturated environment.

Maybe there should be smoke tanks in pubs like there are in airports. You know the glassed off rooms that have exhaust fans to the outside. Smoking punters could order thier drinks and retire to the smokers room to drink and smoke with thier drinking and smoking mates. THAT would solve the problem of health issues for the staff.