Any resorts investing in new lifts / facilities?

Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll

Also, to mention it again because you obviously missed it last time - Niseko is not heavily reliant on Australian residents.
Australia could sink beneath the waves and Niseko would continue on quite nicely I would think.

I did miss it, and I honestly didn't know. From what the media have said, the Aussie invasion revived Niseko, and the property boom wouldn't have happened without them. As for QT, the whole resort would suffer terribly if the Aussies were to disappear. QT is rated as a premier international resort so that's saying something.
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, to mention it again because you obviously missed it last time - Niseko is not heavily reliant on Australian residents.
Australia could sink beneath the waves and Niseko would continue on quite nicely I would think.

You've spoken a lot of sense and with great clarity on a subject that many people have either no comprehension of or no interest in.

But the above is quite frankly, nonsense.

The Australian tourist is very important to Niseko's continued success. As are visitors from Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea and China. And quite possibly in future years visitors from the UK.

And in response to another poster, there is a fundamental difference between Queenstown and the Niseko area. It's called snow.
Originally Posted By: MikePow

And in response to another poster, there is a fundamental difference between Queenstown and the Niseko area. It's called snow.

I was waiting for that to come. You're 100% correct, even though QT is a world-famous resort because there are other things to do and there are world-class facilities and infrastructure. That's why you'll find QT attracts a more diverse crowd of people than Niseko.

From Perth, the cost difference between flying to the eastern states and NZ is minimal. NZ has more reliable snow, so it's a no-brainer. On a 6 day trip to Mt Hutt, we lost 2 because we couldn't get up the mountain.

Oz and NZ are expensive and unreliable. Unless you are close enough to drive there for the weekend (or stay at home) Japan is ALWAYS going to be the best option.

From all I can ascertain GG - yes! There are of course others doing business up there - but it is the Aussies who have been doing the predominant buying of properties.

Not that that wont change - these things do...and Aus is by no means a HUGE nation populace wise (great arid tracts of land wise it is!)...but we HAVE had a very large influence there of late. Will it continue? Who knows... My friends with investments up there are very confident, and others are about to put thier money where thier mouth is. We are not - at this stage - although we have considered it seriously (to the point of putting an offer in on a property that Papa fell in love with - obviously we were not successful).

Soubs...I agree with you.

However some great times can be had in those area's as well.

Just last week:

Eldest 2 boys were in QT (Cardrona) and had a ball - however thier snow conditions were not as lovely as ours in Falls Creek. They were amazed by the video and pics - and the comments have been along the lines of "You would think it was Japan!".

Yes Japan is the ultimate in reliable snow - but sometimes some other places get some too <wink>.

You've spoken a lot of sense and with great clarity on a subject that many people have either no comprehension of or no interest in.

The Australian tourist is very important to Niseko's continued success. As are visitors from Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea and China. And quite possibly in future years visitors from the UK.

We all have our off moments wink but the point I was trying to make is that the punters flying up from Syd or Melb etc. are not the only source of Aussie visitors in Niseko - that Aussie accent one hears at Wild Bill's is just as likely to have come from TY, HK, Sing or Bangkok etc. Another distinction to make is Trip's comment about the Aussie role in the Niseko development, which I'm sure you apprecaite more than most, is that one needs to make a distinction between the developers (many of which are aussie owned companies), the buyers of the apartments (many of which were initially aussies but now with a greater participation from HK and other Asian countries - a trend I suspect will continue. The wealth in HK in particular is difficult for many people to appreciate I reckon) and the punters themselves, which as I mention above need not be resident in the land of football, meat pies, kangaroos and holden cars.

Naturally this is all susposition. I'm sitting here in my office in HK looking out my window and waiting for my gardening leave to wind down. I'm bound to get a few things wrong as I have no idea what I am talking about and largely just making it up as I go along.

Sing is still the most likely prospect but I haven't seen numbers or even started discussing possible roles so it is still up in the air. I've been assured its all good but you know how these things are, until the ink is dry and you're actually in the seat, all sorts of things can happen. My wife, ever the practical nester, is starting to get a bit antsy what with schools and housing and stuff to get sorted. We've never had a time horizon for our future quite this short. If things go completely pear shaped we'll spend 6 months on beaches and snow before heading back to Aust. Sometimes being forced to change directions can be a good thing. My wife is a lawyer too, unless we're forced to we're always going to take the safest option; I often wish I had the courage to take a path less travelled.

I'm not too worried though, I know Sing will come through. Life isn't going to give me a season in the snow.

Things are pretty quiet here. I've been asked to hang around to help with the merger of the victor and the vanquished but the work is pretty much over now and I'm still contracted until the end of Sept. There are only 4 people on my floor that used to accommodate around 150 pers - its eerily quiet. I get the occasional call when someone wants to know how things used to work, but otherwise I'm left pretty much to my own devices - hence the increase in nonsense posting recently! I feel like some sort of professor emeritus - like some old codger the world has passed by who sits around waiting to be needed but with no real purpose.

Rag-Doll,

At least it's air conditioned.

You sound so down. But it's always one door opens as another door shuts.

You'll be alright. The world is crying out for highly trained professionals.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
窓際æ—

madogiwazoku

A job with no purpose

lol
That has been my problem for years! I used to have an office across the road from St Paul's Cathedral in London. As I ground my way through dead boring contracts I would think about the beauty and inspiration embodied in the amazing architecture and art work across the road and wonder how I ended up in such a soulless existence. Even as an atheist I was envious of those who were so inspired and gifted to create such remarkable beauty. The pleasure one takes from a well drafted clause in a contract, just isn't quite the same!

Thursday, things aren't quite that bad. I can't crow too much, golden goose and all that, but the reason I'm still around is because it was an offer too good to refuse. It may be boring but early finishes, lunch and swims at the club, more time with the kids etc. more than make up for any down side.

We all have our off moments wink but the point I was trying to make is that the punters flying up from Syd or Melb etc. are not the only source of Aussie visitors in Niseko - that Aussie accent one hears at Wild Bill's is just as likely to have come from TY, HK, Sing or Bangkok etc. Another distinction to make is Trip's comment about the Aussie role in the Niseko development, which I'm sure you apprecaite more than most, is that one needs to make a distinction between the developers (many of which are aussie owned companies), the buyers of the apartments (many of which were initially aussies but now with a greater participation from HK and other Asian countries - a trend I suspect will continue. The wealth in HK in particular is difficult for many people to appreciate I reckon) and the punters themselves, which as I mention above need not be resident in the land of football, meat pies, kangaroos and holden cars.

Naturally this is all susposition. I'm sitting here in my office in HK looking out my window and waiting for my gardening leave to wind down. I'm bound to get a few things wrong as I have no idea what I am talking about and largely just making it up as I go along.

Indeed we do.

And your last post is your moment in the sun. Spot on.

Interesting to note that NZ's largest property financier for resort property shut down today. The resort property market is in "meltdown" according to the TVNZ news. It's NZ's very own sub-prime in the snow. Let's hope it won't happen to Niseko.

resident in the land of football, meat pies, kangaroos and holden cars.

naughty tut tut Rags, you are letting the empty office get to you, Australia is NOT the land of football!! stir

newsletters doh

"Niseko financing becomes a reality with xxxxxxxxx Bank

xxxxxxxxxxx Bank has announced significant progress in expanding their Japan Snowfields Property Loan packages. Initially only open to Australians with existing property in Niseko, financing is now being offered to residents of Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, China and New Zealand."

Originally Posted By: thursday.
newsletters doh

xxxxxxxxxxx Bank has announced significant progress in expanding their Japan Snowfields Property Loan packages. Initially only open to Australians with existing property in Niseko, financing is now being offered to residents of Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, China and New Zealand."

CBA. You could say that it is a vote of confidence in the market (oe else another dodgy Aussie corporate scam). As for CBA, they wouldn't want this getting around the media back home where they've been pushing mortgage rates up. To think they're lending on resort condos in Japan at lower rates of interest would pis a lot of people struggling with mortgage payments back home.

Except in Japan they're lending Yen not AUD and their rate is is something like LIBOR + 3.80, which is quite a bit more of a mark up than what they are offering borrowers for investment properties in Aust. They're not the only ones, by the way.

Except in Japan they're lending Yen not AUD and their rate is is something like LIBOR + 3.80, which is quite a bit more of a mark up than what they are offering borrowers for investment properties in Aust. They're not the only ones, by the way.

Good point. In fact, it's problem no different from investing in Oz!!
Originally Posted By: thursday.
newsletters doh

Yes it is certainly happening now.

Restrictions - existing property - as in only an actual physically there in the brick, concrete or whatever...NOT an off the plan purchase.

Some questions had been raised over finance for 'existing propery' as in property already bought by the person being re-financed rather than a newly purchased property. I think even the lenders are confused by this one, but the bottom line is they ARE lending for new purchases (and first time Niseko buyers), up to 65% of the value of the property given that the property is already constructed.

WHERE DO I START!! Yes admittedly we are one of those people that jumped on the Japan Ski train. I was not over thrilled at my christmas present of a skiing holiday to japan. It is expensive, I am vegetarian what will I eat, We know NO japanese ARE YOU INSANE!!

We had the time of our lives!! I ate so much I put weight on, I skied from morning to night, loved the people. Niseko was a great introduction to Japan Skiing, we ventured into all the supermarkets in Kutchan and shopped in Otaru. We are heading back next year with friends and then planning to go to one of the other resorts the year after.

Canada was AWESOME but 16 hours flying and then 1 week adjusting to everthing you really need at least 3 weeks there (bit hard when you own your own business not to mention the expense). As for NZ QT 30-40 minutes drive to the fields then if you got there and it was a white out or it was blowing a gale and all snow had blown off OR there was no snow) it didn't make for an enjoyable day. QT prices are like the gold coast (except for FERGBURGER!! YUM) sting the tourist and make as much as you can in the season.

NISEKO - Loved the friendliness and enthusiasium of the staff. Food was so cheap. We didn't eat at any of the Aussie Restaurants or bars and made sure we went to all the little local japanese restaurants which we thought were very resonable.

I work very hard and will give up daily luxuries at home so I can continue going to Japan for my skiing holidays.

• 1 month later...

SH, I hope you loved the food because many of the dishes that you ate would have contained meat products such as fish paste, fish sauce, stocks etc for flavouring. My Bro in law came here and is pretty strict and ended up eating crepes, vege pizzas, and tofu salads for 2 weeks.

Hirafu, saying that, is much more accustomed to vege meals than small towns as there are many foreginers here who are either operating restaurants or are firneds/associates of the owners who are able to offer assistance to such issues.

As a whole, the resort is not really investing in anything new, more the opposite. The small Japanese proprietor are getting bought out and the corporates are moving in.