• 2 weeks later...

Bag of crisps I have to say I agree with you in a lot of ways. Our houses are exactly that our houses and like you if I caught someone outside photographing my house I would most definitely shove there camera where the sun doesn't shine closely followed by my size 12 boot up their arse.

Now I know anyone who walks by my house can see the outside, that is fine, but photographing it in 3D for all the world to see without asking me now that is another thing.

Photographing the street is fine as it is a public place, but a house is not a public place, and google are actually in violation or personal privacy rights.

Now I have used the google search tool to view places, but as of yet none of the images are clear enough to recognise clearly to determine whose house it is. I think that is clear enough and not in violation of peoples privacy. If I start to find a nice clear 3D pic of my house turning up on google then I will have something to say about that for sure.

I think it comes down to the fact that some of us expect our house to be our one place of privacy that we can enjoy with our families, once that personal space becomes available for everyone it is no longer a personal space.

So why don't you stop light from bouncing off it?

Why don't you people cover up your houses so that when I walk past, I don't have the agony of seeing your ill-trimmed lawn, your rubbish bin, your fishing garden gnomes etc. Passers-bys should be protected from eye hurting scenes when one has to pass to get to one's destination.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Well I simply fundamentally disagree.

Quote:
If you stop people photographing your house, then you are just one step away from stopping them looking at it.

Sorry, ridiculous. I'm a bit lost for words actually. sadface

I'm with bag here.

This is drawing a long bow and off topic as well, but I cant help seeing the similarities in this analogy with regard to photographing naked children. (a current furore down here)
People were willing to compare toddlers and children running around the beach half or fully naked with photographs taken by 'artists'.
A photograph is a captured image. It can be circulated in many of forms to many people (billions in googles case). It can be studied and scrutinized at the viewers leisure.
no comparison in my IMO

Actually

The biggest problem I have with all this is how much royalties will we be getting from Google? They will obviously make a huge profit from the images taken of OUR houses.

confused

Or you can make a business using Googles technology, via its API. Their data can be pretty much freely used and you can add what you want on top of it.

Some people would thank them for investing in this idea and making the data available.

Originally Posted By: rach
All you will get Mantas is billions of people able to check out your house online.

And do what, exactly, with that ability? It is not as if they can check to see if you are home, or case the joint for a burg.

Privacy inside the home is OK. There is no argument here, that internal stuff stays private. but ... the street is a public place. Anyone can take a picture of anywhere on a public place without restriction.

Quite honestly, if someone were to jump up and down about me photographing their house, I'd ask them to take a running jump at themselves! If the asked what I was doing, answer would be "NOYBB"!

None
Of
Your
Blardy
Business

If someone were outside your house taking photos of it, would you not think it a little strange and wonder why they were doing it?

I sure would.

And do you not see a fundamental difference in one person taking a photo of your house and the biggest website in the world doing the same to be shown in it's site for anyone in the world to see anytime?

I sure do.

Quote:
Quite honestly, if someone were to jump up and down about me photographing their house, I'd ask them to take a running jump at themselves!

And I'd be out to give you a slap, mate!
Originally Posted By: JA
Originally Posted By: rach
All you will get Mantas is billions of people able to check out your house online.

And do what, exactly, with that ability?

I don't give a toss what they do with it. The fact is that didn't ask me for use of images of MY house for THEIR corporate gain $$$$.
Bag is being polite here. If someone stood out the front of my house taking photos, he would want to hope it was a small camera, because I would shove it right up his !@#$%^.
  • 2 weeks later...