The daily mail is getting in a fluster about this right now. And while it often gets in a fluster, this time I agree. I do not like this idea at all. (Unless they are dramatically changing details of what it really is).

Quote:
Plans by Google to photograph millions of British homes and publish them online have been condemned as a 'gross invasion of privacy'.

The internet giant's StreetView website will allow anyone in the world to type in a UK address or postcode and instantly see a 360-degree picture of the street.

It will include close-ups of buildings, cars and people. Critics say the site is a 'burglar's charter' that makes it easy for criminals to check out potential victims.

The pictures also show people leaving and entering hospitals, health clinics, adult shops and hotels. Although their faces are deliberately blurred, many could still be recognised by their clothing and hair colour.

The site was launched in major American cities last year.

Google refuses to say when the British version will go online - but cars emblazoned with the company's logo and carrying massive 360-degree cameras have been spotted circling the streets of British cities in recent weeks.

Ive been using street-view a lot for researching a location in the US. I have to say, from a user perspective it is amazing. It is like being there: you can see people, shopfronts, houses. It will be exciting when the next generation of this comes out and you can navigate it like in a video game.

From a privacy point of view...well, I dont think google are asking anyone. They are just doing it and taking a gamble. I dont see the big deal really, theres really not a lot a criminal can do with the information at this time.

(Do they?)

Even if they do.....

Do they take out my cars registration number?

Do they take out my car?

Do they take out my house?

Or my Bagpus cuddly toy in the bedroom window?

Or the washing on the washing line?

Or the bins?

Do they take out the scaffolding on the house being renovated?

What's left?

I don't want these things on the web for everyone to see.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
In what way does it take away your privacy? They remove people from the photos...

by taking photos of your property without your permission. This isnT just someones belongings, its their house.

In what way? Are you serious?

Perhaps next step is to come in and take photos of the wife/girlfriend in her neglige. They could mosaic the face so it doesn't take away any privacy.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Perhaps people just want some privacy.

So, if I walk down a street and take a photo, do I have to have permission from the owners of the houses?? I think not! I can then publish them in any form I like, including the net, without any problems. No invasion of privacy here!
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Originally Posted By: bobby12
In what way does it take away your privacy? They remove people from the photos...

by taking photos of your property without your permission. This isnT just someones belongings, its their house.

Absolutely! it is JUST a house! Unless the people are identifiable, there's no invasion of privacy.

It absolutely is on the wrong side of right and I see it as a total invasion of privacy (using this word in a broad sense perhaps).

What about the knickers on the washing line? How far can someone go - in this case a hugely powerful internet company - invading our lives and pushing this kind of shite on us?

Little nerdy Johnny Blogger posting a few pics on his blog that no-one reads is one matter, but 'official' pics on something the scale of Google?

I don't even want Johnny Blogger to post pictures of my house. Tell you what if some dude came up our road with a camera pointed at my house, I'd have something to say to him, and it wouldn't be "hello".

I certainly don't want such things searchable on Google for anyone to see.

Do you? (And if so, why would you want that?)

So do you stand outside your house all day preventing people from looking at it?

Anyway, this is the argument google will try to use. Personally I dont have strong feelings about it either way, I think its a nice service but I can see some ethical issues with it too.

Bag,

No, the question is EXACTLY on the money! If you stop people photographing your house, then you are just one step away from stopping them looking at it. (they might see something through a crack in the drapes, shock horror!) If that worries you, move to a cave somewhere and quit the human race totally.

WRT Google, no matter what they photograph from the road, they'll not have the undies on the line (unless your line is in the front garden and thus on view for everyone passing by in any case).

It is still JUST a house, no matter who currently owns it. (In fact, it is more likely that the bank, or other lender, owns it - you are most likely still paying for it.)

Well I simply fundamentally disagree.

Quote:
If you stop people photographing your house, then you are just one step away from stopping them looking at it.

Sorry, ridiculous. I'm a bit lost for words actually. sadface

If you're ok with all that lot, bully for you.

I think it is a truly sad state of affairs when people think that is ok and dread to think what is 'next'.

Quote:
In fact, it is more likely that the bank, or other lender, owns it - you are most likely still paying for it.

No, I own (as in 100%) my house.

(Not that I think that makes much of a difference in above argument).

Google are spending money, by sending vans and development and integration and marketing and etc etc in producing this product which people will love. Poor old privacy concerners they haven't been consulted nor given a fee.

Fact is the streets are free for everyone to roam and see, admire, photograph, even urinate upon and nobody would do a damn thing. Google as doing just that, seeing the streets as a pedestrian would see it.

I think it's a damn good product born from a pioneer's mind. Shame people would feel they've been violated for it.

But hell consider the millions of spy photos you have starred in courtesy of the USA.

Quote:
which people will love

I won't.

It's yet another new thing that no-one needs and not many people want that we will be told to love and encouraged to spend more of their life looking at things on a screen rather than getting out from behind it. And annoying a fair few people at the same time.

"Progress". Yeah right.

Its just popping its head up here too....will be an interesting debate going fwd. I guess for me if its something people can see when they themselves drive by Im not too worried and I sure dont let private things (read issues that concern my privacy) be seen from the street....but Id be pissed if one of my dersirable toys had been out the front that day and anyone could see where it is stored. So I guess I see both sides of the arguement.....

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Big Brother anyone?

It's hard to avoid that conclusion when you look at the Youtube ruling. And all the companies in the USA getting away with phone tapping in violation of the constitution.
Quote:
but Id be pissed if one of my dersirable toys had been out the front that day and anyone could see where it is stored.

Sounds like you do not like the idea to me then. I highly doubt Mr Google will be coming round asking if you want to put your car in the garage before they take their photo for the whole world to see.

I think it's a fantastic idea, as long as they don't show my cars, me or my house. Everyone else's is just fine, what a great tool.

Seriously I do not like the idea.