Just noticed that I have to go and get my re-entry permit done before I go back to England over summer.

This is just a go and get it done there and then thing, right?

(My visa is ok for another year).

Right. Unfortunately for me that means a trip to Niigata Airport which is 1.5-2 hours away by expressway.

sadface

Either spend a ton on the expressway and take 2/3 of the day or a bit more leisurely and it takes the best part of a whole day.

Once I actually get there probably 15 minutes or so.

I will have to buy a 'stamp' at a kiosk in the airport itself ( doh ) and then go to the immigration office, fill out the form and they will do it fairly quickly.

One good thing about Niigata is there aren't that many foreigners perhaps compared with big cities so not usually that many people around.

Not sure what kind of visa you are on, muika. Mine is 3 years. If I buy a multiple re-entry permit at the same time, it lasts for the period of the visa, and is a useful economy. It only took me 3 renewals to work this out doh

soubs, alas not quite as simple. I think even if you have a permanent residency visa you still need to get the re-entry permit every 3 years. Unless I am mistaken, that is the max period for that.

You don't need to give up any passport to get the permanent visa soubs. (Is that what you were meaning there?)

But when/if you get that, you still need the re-entry thing every 3 years.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that!

friend

No, I understand that. The only way to avoid the re-entry permit tax is to become naturalised. I'm never going to do that.

I didn't realise you could do the re-entry permit renewal at the airport. That's potentially useful,

Remember this though - go as close to the expiry date on your current re-entry as you can... otherwise you will lose time. Sadly they do not add the re-entry period to your current expiry date, but instead give you the period from the day you renew it. I'm sure I could have said that better!!

Example:

If your current re-entry expires 30th July and you go today to renew it, your new permit will expire on 12th July rather than 30th.

I always get a multiple re-entry stamp when I get my visa renewed so it is valid for 3 years. No problem there. Looking forward to getting P.R. next year. Visa isnt that much of a hassle, though I hate going to get it, just takes more effort as you have to go once to file the paperwork, then go back to pick it up. At least with the re-entry its just a 10min deal...

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
I always get a multiple re-entry stamp when I get my visa renewed so it is valid for 3 years. No problem there.

Yep, that was the easiest way, though come PR visa time you have to remember when ya 3 years is up.
Would be great if you could just buy them at immigration on your way out at a ticket counter.

Mine expires next year.. not renewing..
Quote:
Would be great if you could just buy them at immigration on your way out at a ticket counter.

That would be far too convenient, logical and useful Indo.

doh
Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Quote:

That would be far too convenient, logical and useful Indo.

doh

As Yoda would say "Right, yes you are"

Soubs, you went via Guam??

FArk, I had to do it once and that was worse than Garuda!

I guess at least you can get points..

Still going to Narita, if ya catch tha train, wouldn't ya get to Bali quicker?

Nope. Narita is at least 6 hours from here + 2 for check in. If it`s a morning flight (they are), then that means an overnight stay.

Continental leaves Sendai at midday, and after a 2 hour stopover/change at Guam gets into Denpasar at about 10pm (local). It means travelling on a shite US carrier and dealing with the even more shite US immigration, but it is 1 day instead of 2. Rats.

Doesn't sound so good.

Too make ya feel better farking impossible to get a direct flight to Bali from Adelaide.

We either have to go to singapore or through perth or darwin these days!

You should move ya missus back to Perth, If the cake shops are half as bad as they are here, I'm sure they'd be gagging for a decent japanese made cake! (and ya'd be 3hrs from Bali!)