I think I have attention disorder

According to wiki, the ADHD has the following symptoms:

Originally Posted By: wikipedia
1. A sense of underachievement, of not meeting one’s goals (regardless of how much one has actually accomplished).

2. Difficulty getting organized.

3. Chronic procrastination or trouble getting started.

4. Many projects going simultaneously; trouble with follow through.

5. A tendency to say what comes to mind without necessarily considering the timing or appropriateness of the remark.

6. A frequent search for high stimulation.

7. An intolerance of boredom.

8. Easy distractibility; trouble focusing attention, tendency to tune out or drift away in the middle of a page or conversation, often coupled with an inability to focus at times.

9. Often creative, intuitive, highly intelligent

10. Trouble in going through established channels and following proper procedure.

11. Impatient; low tolerance of frustration.

12. Impulsive, either verbally or in action, as an impulsive spending of money.

13. Changing plans, enacting new schemes or career plans and the like; hot-tempered.

14. A tendency to worry needlessly, endlessly; a tendency to scan the horizon looking for something to worry about, alternating with attention to or disregard for actual dangers.

15. A sense of insecurity.

16. Mood swings, mood lability, especially when disengaged from a person or a project.

17. Physical or cognitive restlessness.

18. A tendency toward addictive behavior.

19. Chronic problems with self-esteem.

20. Inaccurate self-observation.

21. Family history of AD/HD or manic depressive illness or depression or substance abuse or other disorders of impulse control or mood.

I definitely have #3 razz

and #9 wink

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can probably tick every single number!!

Having a seriously ADHD husband and then ADHD/ADD kids - two clinically diagnosed (and trialed meds for a year - medication free now)I always blamed HISELF for the ADHD in the kids....until a close friend pointed out that I might not be bouncing off the walls physically or failing academically due to my distractability - but I am very definitely a classic ADD personality, just able to rope it in to function when I need to.

Reading this list -I have to laugh - it is SO true!

Thursday: The total reverse of 19 is still a serious problem with self esteem. The 'problem' with self esteem doesn't need to be LOW self esteem.

A friends medicated ADHD son has a distinct superiority complex, and has done so from day dot. I remember having a stand up argument with him when he was 4 yrs old - he was totally confident in his (incorrect) point and was fully prepared to take on an adult over it because he KNEW he was right - and no-one was as smart or omniscient as he. He is 17 and in Yr 12 now - and still exactly the same.

Well, I can tick about 14, probably more.

Originally Posted By: thursday.

but total reverse for 19

Thursday's the oposite of 'paranoid'. He walks around with the insane delusion that people like him. wink

(OK. I borrowed that from Woody Allen. That should be another symptom of ADHD - People who like Woody Allen movies)

I reckon if you surveyed people who participate in action/thrill sports - in our case skiing and snowboarding - but you can include mountain biking, sky diving, surfing, wake boarding blah blah blah blah...in there - a HIGH percentage would fall into the catagory of ADHD.

We seek out stimulation.

Although my haematologist reckons there is a connection between bleeding disorders and risk taking behaviour - so many of her 'easy bleeders' ski, snowboard, rock climb etc. I reckon it is our way of thumbing our nose at infirmity.

Thats why forums have been such a success because it gives so much attention to anybodies and a sense of celebrity to people without any form of credibility.A bit like flies to shit really.

Nope. Some forums (such as this one) become a success because they are a great generally friendly and informative place to chat with friends (from all over Japan and beyond in this case), share info and actually make new like-minded (or not!) friends, etc.

Quote:
Thats why forums have been such a success because it gives so much attention to anybodies and a sense of celebrity to people without any form of credibility. A bit like flies to shit really.

Actually, it's people who post something like that who are the real flies.

• SnowJapan Admin

Drop Inn - if you really think these Forums are 'shit', then why are you here?

The best idea is to perhaps just not post on here rather than coming here to post such comments.

(Apologies if I misunderstood your comment).

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Drop Inn
Thats why forums have been such a success because it gives so much attention to anybodies and a sense of celebrity to people without any form of credibility.A bit like flies to shit really.

Seems incredibly pessimistic if not just rude. Doesn't seem like you know the folks on SJ very well. It's a niche forum and there are lots of reasons to join in. Ohh... My temper is flarring up! veryangry BLOODY HELL!!! veryangry veryangry veryangry

All a bit defensive really , what jumping down the throat of a not so regular, another common characteristic of forum buddies.

In regard to above was in general about forums in general all over the place Japan , Europe, US , Aus.In looking at your numbers of posts however its a little more than a passive hobby...verging on obsessive.

People have a different sense of security with both an anonymous name and a self sense of authority with no real source on "claims posted" Consequences of posting in print or other media can have far greater consequences. For example would the owner of a known pension winge about people smoking pot in their establishment if the comments were consequential and thus my inference?

Would I be able to get away with simply bugger off Potatoe head if you only had 100 posts?We'll soon find out!!

I observe enough to see the goings on here and have doe for some time I do not have to be heard (read) to feel better and yes I am not seeking so called friendships with persons that may be entirely different to the real souls these projected characters.

To the moderator it seems that varied and somewhat differing opinion is not what you are seeking but a specific generic character that likens the rules on your forum to doing business in small country towns in Japan. As you understand though it requires tolerance.

So what does the future hold, backcountry advise by barely more than mostly weekend warriors with a tendency to boast to a blind following may one day have consequences greater than the financial returns of forum they were informed by....

Re:Flys to Shit is an analogy perhaps I should have said Bees to Honey. Sweeties. Gone again.

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was younger, but my mom refused to give me meds - Im quite thankful now in hindsight. Instead, she pushed me to find other avenues, like sports, to spend my energy on. I never knew that until a bit later (when I was old enough to understand). I had to learn how to control/calm myself in order to be able to study and focus. Wasnt easy thats for sure...

>I observe enough to see the goings on here and have doe for some time I do not have to be heard (read) to feel better and yes I am not seeking so called friendships with persons that may be entirely different to the real souls these projected characters.

thats your loss DI. There are some real cool people on here - I, for one, am glad to know many of them and feel lucky that I can call them friends smile