I think I have attention disorder

I cant remember hearing someone in Europe taking drags because he had ADHD.

It's part of the America drug addiction culture. Mum and dad on sleeping pills, kids on ADHD drugs, a nice junky family.... shifty

Its funny because even the wikipedia article on ADHD states:

Originally Posted By: wikipedia
Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (USA)

I will kick the crap out of the guy that will tell me I ll have to put my kids on drugs, and probably change them school immediately.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lotta parents have that reaction Tsonda - I have been walking this path for a while now.

My eldest was 'diagnosed' at 6yrs old, after his teacher spat the dummy and called me in for a 'good talking to' - in my opinion he was bored - and I was LIVID that he got the label and was prescribed ritalin. I never gave him one tablet, and told the Dr to stick his prescription where the sun don't shine. I didn't put my head in the sand though - I worked VERY hard to teach my son appropriate behaviour and control techniques. He had a stress ball on his desk at age 6 to sqeeze instead of kicking the desk leg etc.

However at age 12 (entering high school) he asked me for help - he knew he could learn how to get from class to class with the right books if he could just focus for half a second. So we tried it out - and it was good for a few months. His grades skyrocketed, and because it was Strattera not ritalin or dex he had no 'loss of personality'. However the minute he said he was having an adverse reaction those tablets were gone from my house.

They served thier purpose.

Friends son at 15 reminds her that he needs his ritalin. I recall him as a child - the ones you see on TV...swinging from the light fitting and kicking holes in the walls! She is a good parent, she monitors thier diet for triggers insanely close (after years of working out what sets them off) - but without the meds THIS kid is a basket case. She has 4 ADD/ADHD kids...only 2 are medicated. And she fought against medicating them for the longest time. But sometimes these things are needed....and most parents don't take it lightly. Despite the media circus that says otherwise the Mum who whacks her kid on ritalin because it makes HER life easier is a rare one...all the Mum's I have talked to have done it ONLY when it made thier child's life a bit easier.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I recall him as a child - the ones you see on TV...swinging from the light fitting and kicking holes in the walls! She is a good parent, she monitors thier diet for triggers insanely close (after years of working out what sets them off) - but without the meds THIS kid is a basket case. She has 4 ADD/ADHD kids...only 2 are medicated. And she fought against medicating them for the longest time. But sometimes these things are needed....and most parents don't take it lightly. Despite the media circus that says otherwise the Mum who whacks her kid on ritalin because it makes HER life easier is a rare one...all the Mum's I have talked to have done it ONLY when it made thier child's life a bit easier.

One of my favorite tv shows (and I dont really spend time infront of the tv) is called Nanny 911 based on a BBC program called Little Angels .
Its a show that clearly illustrates that kids behavior is a mirror of the parents attention.

Quote:
The format of each programme involved experts monitoring the behaviour of the family and the children, before discussing with the parents the real underlying causes of the problem, which frequently involved the parents themselves. The experts then discussed a course of action with the parents, later coaching them on how to change their own and their children's behaviour to improve the situation. This was frequently achieved in scenes where the family was filmed in a communal activity, with the parents receiving advice from the attending professional via an ear piece. In addition to its entertainment value, Little Angels gave viewers strategies to deal with common problems, and offered real help to the family being filmed.

Its so sad that we have reached to a point that a great amount of so called parents don't want to actively involve in bringing up their children. They just make up fake diseases in order to cover up their own incompetence of giving their children the level of attention they deserve.