Hi guys,

Well I promised to keep you informed about how my friends daughter went with qualifying for the Paralympics in Beijing - so here goes...

A website about Madi

(The links to her bio, photo's etc is on the top right...I think they have set up one of these cafe press store things for all the athlete's going - a fundraiser thing I think.)

Madison is an amazing girl - and a determined athlete - and I for one wish her all the best with this journey.

Hurrah for good news stories!

Hey, Mama,

Just went to her site, did the "say hi to madi" thing. Does she know you're on SJ? Does she have you tagged as "mamabear"?

I think we all hope she does well.

Originally Posted By: JA
Hey, Mama,

Just went to her site, did the "say hi to madi" thing. Does she know you're on SJ? Does she have you tagged as "mamabear"?

I think we all hope she does well.

Well she does now!!! LOL

Her Mum and I work together - and she knows I am an SJ addict...I am sure her Mum will clue her in - and I will give her the heads up.

I bought t-shirts for the whole family - couldn't resist - had our Madi on them!! LOL

The weekend of the 8,9,10 of August is the Opening Ceremony and beginning of the games....why do I know this?

On the way to kids Rugby this morning in the BELTING RAIN Papabear and I were discussing girls trip and boys trip arrangments - when we confirmed these were the dates that the girls were knicking off to Thredbo I asked him if he was OK to look after all the kids on that weekend....and he said "YES - we will be very very busy - watching the Olympics opening ceremony etc etc."

Made me feel kinda sad. Last time he and I did not sit side by side on the couch watching the games and the Roy and HG spoof coverage was 20 years ago. He was riding his bicycle across the Nullabor from Perth to Canberra on a fundraiser - and me...a young enamoured Uni student watched the games, kept him a daily journal, and knitted him an amazing pure wool cable knit jumper (the first and ONLY thing I ever knitted). He did some soul searching on the ride and came home and I swapped the jumper for a marriage proposal. Awwww!!!

Originally Posted By: Indo
google is your friend TB!
Her website says 63 days, but that's the paragames.
first few days of August I think..

yeah I know, but I'm a real lazy barsteward!! lol

I'm not that interested in the Olympics anyway, probably won't watch most of it

C'mon mate...

Get into the spirit!

You'll be able to watch heaps and heaps of the Japanese synco swimming team and endless repeats of gold medal judo efforts that it will be imprinted in your brain forever!

I hope Roy & HG will be doing the DReam this year. Athens flopped mainly due to the time difference.

• 1 month later...

Not much help to 99.9% of you ... but Madi and her Mum (my workmate and friend, Linda) along with the rest of her family will be on "Today Tonight" in Perth (not sure if this is an Aussie wide or just WA wide thing) this evening. It is POSSIBLE that the story might also be attached to thier website after it is aired. The link is below.

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/latest

I saw the promo last night, and it looks like they are doing the interview and story with an inspirational slant - mystery illness causes paraplegia, young girl becomes superstar - angle. Her farewell/yeehar/off-to-the-games party is on the weekend after next - I am sure that will be a HUGE event! Looking forward to it!

And she got her uniforms this past week - quite emotional for the family. I think the realisation is really just setting in for them.

GO MADI!!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
GO MADI!!

Too bloomin' right!! Go Girl! What an inspiration!

I am on regular updates from Linda and/or Roy. Seems almost like a family member!

The official schedule is here but we'd need to know the exact classification of Madi's race. Her website doesn't go into any detail (that I could see, anyway) and without an event classification, it is nigh impossible to work out when she races.

I'll be watching IF I can find out when to watch (and what channels it is on!! - Just saw that ABC in Oz will have 2 x 1hour highlight packages on ABC1 and 8 hours on ABC2)

Go Girl!!

JA, not sure if you got the email update but Madi is touching down in Perth tonight after a week in Queensland for the final preparations...however there have been some last minute changes. Following competition rules Madi has had to drop the 200m and let Jemima compete that, but she has had to pick up the 400m (due to times that were submitted months ago). She will also do the 100m and the relay.

They have also changed the race order for the relay - she was the slowest of the 4 when they decided she would go last, but she is now the fastest of the 4 and they want her to start - so the prep work has had to change.

I believe her first race is on her Dad's birthday - the 9th of September...but I will keep you informed.

• 5 weeks later...