Longest run in Australia/NZ:

Thredbo (the great 'Funnel Web') 5.9km

Longest run in Japan:

Suginohara 8.5km

Okay, so Suginohara is longer. But is it better?

FWIW I think Suginohara hands down

I have not been to Suginohara.

The Supertrail is the 5.9 km longest run in Australia.

It is a nice cruisy ride from top to bottom - a few intermediate sections, but mostly green stuff. I quite like the ride it offers. Open spaces, breeze on your face, take your time and work your way down.

Funnel Web is a nice steep black run - decent length, but nowhere near 5.9km. However the times I have been there it has not always been open - needs freshies to be at it's best I believe.

If I get a chance this year I will be giving it a crack.

Not a good comparison.

Many beautiful beaches in the UK, and I'm told there are many ropey ones in Australia.

Sunshine would be a better criterium, and similarly snow quality & quantity would be better criteria for the Thredbo v Suginohara deabte.

I am still not so sure why there has to be comparison at all really...

Somedays I like steak, some days I like fish, other days I am keen on some hamburger...on the odd occassion I even like a bit of caviar....which is better? Hey you could argue for scotch fillet steak over hamburger due to quality etc etc - but some days dontcha just want to chow down on hamburger?

I want to try them all.

All continents, all resorts - why not? I am sure one day I will settle on a personal fave - but sometimes it has more to do with the conditions and expereinces had there - and less about empirical best-y-ness.

Do you go for skiing, or for nightlife? Comparing those two is like apples and oranges, and who cares how long a run is - it doesnt mean its going to be a great run, nor have great snow. Theres not 1 resort in Oz that can compare with the snow quality/quantity that these resorts gets. Hence, no comparison. Thats my 2 yen.

Suginohara has more going for it than just one super long run. The snow is unbelievable, they have plenty of deep pockets inbounds in the resort to explore, the runs are wide as well so even when its busy there is plenty space.

Originally Posted By: Sara T
My thoughts:

Suginohara - better snow, cheaper tickets, cheaper digs, less crowds.
Thredbo - better nightlife.

I agree change is nice but my last foray to Thredbo was shocking. Maybe hamburger is nice - but not when lukewarm and sloppy.

Sorry, don't give out personal info tsonda

I reckon if you said where you were based, we would be able to find Sara T.

Sara being American as it does not have an H. T for anything from Tabrinski to Tyson. But only kidding. I will not hunt you down, unlike some sikkos with 10000+ posts here.
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
>Sorry, don't give out personal info tsonda

lemme guess, youre in UK/Oz/Japan...that seems a bit personal, you might wanna take that off wink

Look out! CB now knows where you live. I'd lock my doors If I were you.
Originally Posted By: MikePow
Not a good comparison.

Many beautiful beaches in the UK, and I'm told there are many ropey ones in Australia.

Best show me where they are, so I don't waste my time on my next visit dodging pony shite and merry-go-rounds.

A major advantage for Thredbo over Suginohara (and any other Northern hemisphere place, for that matter) right now is that there's a bit of the white stuff there to slide on - OK not a lot ATM, but building.

So, if you want to slide in July or August, where's better, Suginohara or Thredbo?? Hands down Thredbo! Absolutely no argument! BUT, if youwant to slide in January - well the story's the other way!

As Mama says, comparisons are irrelevant. What's important is having a go at the lot, some are wonderful, others not so but a day on snow (any snow) is better than a day at the office anytime! (Except that the days in the office pay for the days on snow wink)

I don't know about Thredbo, but Suginohara is good. Didn't go last season, perhaps next, but when I have been I've enjoyed it.

Same here a long course doesn't equal good, though you can understand why they use that as their marketing hook.

Originally Posted By: kokodoko
Thredbo sucks..
it is boring..
and full of snotty nosed tossers that think their poo doesnt stink..

imho

LOL! Koko!!
As with most places around the world - it is who you go with that makes the difference. I had a great time at Thredbo (on the mountain - not the nightlife - I am always too tired and keen to get some zzzz for an early start!). Although I did find it quite skier-centric, which I didn't find at Niseko. Not that it was a problem, just noticed it thats all.
Originally Posted By: Mantas
Originally Posted By: MikePow
Not a good comparison.

Best show me where they are, so I don't waste my time on my next visit dodging pony shite and merry-go-rounds.

There are some beautiful beaches up in the north west of Scotland, course its colder than a nun's tit, but the beaches sure look nice!! biggrin
  • 2 months later...

If we're going to compare runs, how about the longest run in Canada? Blackcomb Glacier back to base? About 13km if memory serves, but half of that is a flat cat trail back to the main runs, and not very interesting...