Hi guys,

I know that Japan generally has some of the best snow in the world every year. But, obviously there are "good" years and "bad" years. Skiing in Australia, I've often relied on The Frog's long range forecasts to get a handle on what to expect each season. Are there similar long-range forecasters for the Japanese scene that we can check as the new season gets closer? I just booked our holiday to Shiga Kogen for January and as this is our first trip to Japan, I'm so excited I'm looking for any news on the snow front! banner

Cheers - Steve

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve you'll certainly not see any of the ridiculous long term forecasts from here that you see in Aus. Even The Frog can't forecast with any sort of accuracy months in advance.

Anyway the only site I know that has seasonal forecasts for snowfall in Japan are on the Japan Meteorological Agency site, go to the following link JMA Seasonal Forecasts. They won't have their first winter forecast until around end of September. They then update it each month.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Rather early to be thinking of it.

A good place to hang around would be, er, here.

What cha mean? Early? We have booked accom, flights and some sight-seeing already, for January.

In a few months people will start talking about early starts or slow starts to the season. It happens every year (and why not?) Everything from grasshoppers, cicadas and the old lady up the road said..... will be discussed in great detail. I kind of like the local reasons/indicators stories. My favourite is that you will delay winter by putting winter tyres on too early.

Well after a couple of well below average seasons in Niseko I've certainly got fingers crossed for a big one! Although I am defintely going to have to get a snowblower for the house as I just barely managed the last couple of seasons with shovelling...

Originally Posted By: thursday.
Originally Posted By: Mantas
]My left testicle is getting itchy, that's always a good sign. shifty

yep, a good sign you've got an STD. Go see a doc before it falls off.

At least I gotta set. groovy
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Rather early to be thinking of it.

A good place to hang around would be, er, here.

Yeah, I know....but I did say I was excited!!

Rather than specific long-range forecasts like "I see a weather system moving in somewhere around 15th-17th November.. yadda yadda" I guess I was thinking more around the general outlook for the season in relation to La Nina, global cooling cycles, snow ferret movements, grandpa's bung knee aching, etc.

C'mon, I want some straws to clutch at here!

Cheers - Steve

Ahhh, yes. We do have the 'red snapper' forecast of course. As many of you know, Andrew, the mysterious and enigmatic creator of snow Japan hibernates in the SJ cave deep in the mountains of Niigata for most of the summer. He emerges only once, on the evening of the first full moon in August to throw a 10-pound red snapper (that would be a fish) into the air. The way the fish lands determines the snowfall for next winter. Basically, if the fish is facing north, there will be heavy snow and if its facing south it will probably be a warmer winter.

Originally Posted By: G
In a few months people will start talking about early starts or slow starts to the season. It happens every year (and why not?) Everything from grasshoppers, cicadas and the old lady up the road said..... will be discussed in great detail. I kind of like the local reasons/indicators stories. My favourite is that you will delay winter by putting winter tyres on too early.

that is bound to have a solid footing in science!!

Actually I have found myself more and more thinking about going boarding, its not even July!! Funny because at the end of the season I was a little jaded (mainly because I was going on my own ) and wasn't that bothered about "not going up this weekend". Starting to get my snow-love back and I imagine by mid-september I will be gagging for a day on the hill!!

It's called tai in Japanese. Not as tasty or distinctive as tuna, yellowtail ('hamachi' or 'buri') or salmon IMO but it has a kind of ceremonial status in Japan. It's often served at enkais or graduation parties, stuff like that.