OF THE WORLD

Thank you Manchester United!

_44678573_4de95741-6cea-4810-9aeb-2d1628

491005_mediumsquare.jpg

01.jpg

clap

That didn't do too much for my nerves!!!

groovy groovy groovy groovy groovy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has to be noted that such an important sports even finishing at 1:35am is just ridiculous.

No complains though wink

Quote:
Didier Drogba hit the woodwork for Chelsea before the striker was sent off in extra-time for slapping United defender Nemanja Vidic

lol

United were dominant in the 1st, but what happened to them in the 2nd? Like they went home.

But, a fitting result. Losing on penalties must be very rough.

Spanish (and all other rubbish) media, reading this??

Quote:
An emotional Cristiano Ronaldo hailed Manchester United's penalty shoot-out victory over Chelsea as the best day of his life, before confirming he will stay at the club.

Ronaldo experienced mixed emotions on the night, scoring the opening goal, but his missed penalty in the shoot-out appeared to have handed the trophy to Chelsea. However, first John Terry and then Nicolas Anelka lost their nerve for the Blues to hand United a dramatic victory.

"I don't know what to say. In my opinion I played well in the game, scored a goal, and then missed the penalty. It would have been the worst day of my life," said Ronaldo.

"Penalties are a lottery. We deserved to win as we played better in the whole game. It means everything to me, we have won both trophies, it is the best day in my life. I am going to stay [at the club]."

I think rach just forgot the wink

But winning the Champions League is like winning the world cup of club football - something that has more meaning (to tons of people) than country football. You'd know that if you knew more about the game.

It was pretty much dive-less (that's your little rant in every footie thread, isn't it CB?) - just a great game of football.

Feel sorry for Terry? Ha, don't think there will ever be that day.

He's right.

I don't really give a crap about England, especially when compared to the fortunes of Liverpool.

I want my club, Liverpool, to win.

Winning the Champions League is better than England winning the World Cup, so much more. It is also the biggest and most prestigeous group, so basically the best thing a club team can win.

Winning the Premiership is also better than anything England can do. Not that we'd know about that. Next year. wink

I t doesnt matter but Terry saved Vidic from retaliating to Drogba and getting sent off. Terry also started that whole barny. I feel bad for him though, he must be devastated given the situation, first time for chelsea to win it etc.

BW, yup, that is what I feel I always see - an arm goes out and somebody dives. I think football is much better sport than baseball, basketball, and american football. I dont enjoy watching any of those sports (unless actually at the game). If I am watching team sports I prefer ice hockey or aussie footie. Find rugby boring, but as you say, prolly cuz I know zip about the game.

So Champions League is better than World Cup? Cool... So, maybe its the crappier teams that have to dive to get calls, not the awesome teams - those must be the games I always catch! wink

That's a tremendous end to the season. What a double.

The FA cup dun count if ManU dun win it.

You'll see the champs of Europe take on the "champs" of South America in the Toyota cup in Tokyo.

Tonight, we've got Juve and Man City playing against the local perennial loser clubs.

So Champions League (or club footabll leagues) better than World Cup?

Well, it is very different of course, but absolutely, in so many ways.

Think about it:

World Cup:

National teams that are made up of players that play together as a team just a few times a year with little preparation and chance to get to know each other. Limited to players of the same nationality. Lots of great players will not play in the World Cup. (See Ryan Giggs, the best player in the world never to play in the World Cup - coz he's Welsh!)

Club footie:

Teams made up of players that are brought together and play together almost every single day, get to know each other extremely well and play over 50 competitive matches over the course of a year.

Of course I like watching the World Cup when it comes around but I would always always choose a Liverpool game and title over an England one. No comparison.

Another good point, he can line up with Giggsy and lots of others.

Bests International career:

"He was capped 37 times for Northern Ireland , scoring nine goals. Of his nine international goals four were scored against Cyprus and one each against Albania, England, Scotland, Switzerland and Turkey.

On 15 May 1971, Best scored possibly his most famous "goal" of his career at Windsor Park in Belfast against England. As Gordon Banks, the English goalkeeper, released the ball in the air in order to kick the ball downfield, Best managed to kick the ball first, which sent the ball high over their heads and heading towards the open goal. The famous duo scrambled towards the net but Best outpaced Banks and headed the ball into the empty goal. His effort was disallowed for ungentlemanly conduct by a referee whose back had been turned away from the incident.[citation needed]

Best was considered briefly by manager Billy Bingham for the 1982 World Cup. However, at 36 and with his football skills dulled by age and drink, he was not selected in the Northern Ireland squad. In view of his home country's relative lack of success, he was an advocate of an all-Ireland team."

Well, congratulations to United.

That was all up and down. First half we were dominated, then in the second we dominated. Then those penalties.

It was always going to be that one set of fans will be totally gutted, playing another English team in the final. And to lose on penalties when it looked like we had it..... hard to take.

angry

I dont like Terry at all.

He is a thug.

Did you see when Drogba got the red, Terry went up to Tevez and said something into his shirt so that the camera couldn't pick up what he said. Sure looked like that on the replay.

I hope UEFA fines them all for that surrounding the ref bollox. The Premier League never does anything about it. The top clubs are the worst culprits as well. When there's an incident, referees should book every non-involved player aside the captains.

That said, it was a great match. After half an hour, it looked like it was going to be all ManYoo, but Chelsea outplayed them after that.

George Best benefited from being the first showbiz footballer. The showbiz bit adds a layer of hype to what he did on the pitch, a bit like David Beckham. He was a great, but not Maradona level. Ronaldo scores way more goals than Best ever did, and cannot be faulted for not setting others up either. He's a more more complete player.

Quote:
When there's an incident, referees should book every non-involved player aside the captains.

Something like that is needed. It would definitely be a shock at the beginning but they sure as heck would soon get used to it if there were consistent cards being thrown around when they should be. But consistency is the big problem - we need cameras and better reffing.

Phew, wipes brow. that was close.

Poor poor Mr Terry. lol I'm sure he'll manage.

Also, while I'm being annoyed, for how long will Fat Frank keep on pointing to the sky when he gets a fluke jammy goal (ie. most he gets)?