Abortion Pill not available in Japan

I was surprised to find out recently that the 'abortion pill' is not available in Japan.

If you find out you are pregnant you have to have a kind of operation that costs around 130,000yen.

Apparently they consider the abortion pill (also known as Mifepristone, RU486, Mifegyne, Mifiprex) unsafe. At first I thought it was to protect the doctors profitable operations but on second thoughts I guess it is to discourage abortion and thus increase number of new babies here. Or may they just genuinely think it is unsafe, despite being used for years overseas?

This reinforces my idea that they want to make it difficult for women to not have babies. Which I guess is quite understandable with the population problem here. Would prefer it if they provided better childcare services, paternal leave and so on instead though.

Do you mean the morning after pill Bobby?

Even now though, very few girls I know use the pill, my gfriend doesn't (much to my annoyance). They often say that they don't wanna take pills for the rest of their life!! C'mon!!

I don't think people are that well educated about things like that over here.

Not the morning after pill...I mean the one you take after you miss your period and the pregnancy test shows positive.

I dont know if the morning after pill is available here or not. Probably not, right? Do they even have condoms here?

stop bragging! LOL

I took the pill for 5 years, and it took a year for my fertility to come back - after that I didn't use it - not wanting to go through that again, and I only had to look at Papabear and there was another cub on the way!! I have major concerns over women now choosing to take the pill for 10, 15, 20 years - and then wanting to have late age babies...and whoops "I forgot to have kids". It is happening more and more, and as a result the average age of first time mothers is creeping down younger again as women are seeing the pattern.

There has also been some suggestion that the pill our mothers took before having us (they were strong back then!) has effected this generation of mothers egg quality, and hence fertility. What the mother took now effects the daughters. Is it cumulative? Will the fertility of future generations be less and less and less. I don't know. But I would like to ask the questions before blindly taking stronger and stronger pills like RU486.

I like that we have options, I am just not sure I like the options.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
I was surprised to find out recently that the 'abortion pill' is not available in Japan.

If you find out you are pregnant you have to have a kind of operation that costs around 130,000yen.

Apparently they consider the abortion pill (also known as Mifepristone, RU486, Mifegyne, Mifiprex) unsafe. At first I thought it was to protect the doctors profitable operations but on second thoughts I guess it is to discourage abortion and thus increase number of new babies here. Or may they just genuinely think it is unsafe, despite being used for years overseas?

It's not about doctors income. RU486 is also only applied in hospitals. It's not like an asperin. Home use would be most likely deadly for the women.

The morning after pill is chemically the same as RU486, but the dosis is only 1/8 (I think).

Well Mamabear, the girls back home in Dundee could do with a reduction in fertility, you just need to brush past them nowadays and they are pregnant lol.gif its ridiculous!!!! \:D

Quote:
Even now though, very few girls I know use the pill

Are you asking lots of girls?!

Quote:
They often say that they don't wanna take pills for the rest of their life!! C'mon!!

Totally understandable as well, as sunrise says.
 Originally Posted By: Curt
 Quote:
Even now though, very few girls I know use the pill

Are you asking lots of girls?!

yeah, why? but I mean J-girls, most gaij-girls I know bring a supply from home

Quote:
They often say that they don't wanna take pills for the rest of their life!! C'mon!!

Totally understandable as well, as sunrise says.

this is the first time I've evr heard of guys thinking this way. It wouldn't be for life, only for when they are having sex with me! \:D
 Originally Posted By: bobby12
I dont know if the morning after pill is available here or not. Probably not, right? Do they even have condoms here?

They DEFINITELY have it in Japan, but it is a major hassle to take it.
It has to be prescribed by a doctor, after having blood tests etc. Some hospitals don't even prescribe it because its against their policy...
 Originally Posted By: Creek Boy

Since this thread is about "pills" would any men out there take a pill??

A long term girlfriend and I talked about it when she got worried about the length of time she'd been on the pill. We checked it out but at the time it wasn't an option - I forget why.
 Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
CondoMania has a decent selection - gotta love glow in the dark ones \:D

What? Just in case you couldn't find it? Heeeeellllloooo...I am over hereeeeee...just follow the light! lol.gif