Earthquake in the UK - biggest in 25 years

Quote:
The biggest earthquake in the UK for nearly 25 years has shaken homes across large parts of England.

People in Newcastle, Yorkshire, London, Manchester, the Midlands and Norfolk felt the tremor just before 0100 GMT.

An elderly man suffered leg injuries when a chimney collapsed in Wombwell in South Yorkshire, emergency crews said.

The British Geological Survey (BGS) said the earthquake was of the magnitude of 5.3 and the epicentre was near Market Rasen in Lincolnshire.

I didn't predict that one, but admittedly I focus on Japan.

i'm moving to indonesia in a month, and my friend there says there's been several tremors a week for the past 6 months (and probably since waaaay before he got there)

on tuesday they had a couple of solid ones, both about 7

apparently the time to worry is when there's a break between quakes, because the pressure isn't releasing

zmMap.eveday.Indian_Ocean.gif

The UK is generally regarded as "a-siesmic". That doesn't mean they don't happen, just they are small and result from crustal adjustments rather than movements at plate boundaries.

The Great Glen fault is a monster strike-slip fault. Northern Ireland used to be part of Scotland...

Originally Posted By: thursday.
you know nessie is bunk right?

wash your mouth out with soap!!! mad.gif

Is that right Soubs, another thing I didn't know. Seems we cut adrift the wrong country though!!! ;\)
  • 2 weeks later...

Seismically active today!

There were two quakes 5.5 and 6.5 in the Vanuatu Islands region today, among others.

There seemed to be a bit of a lull for a little while, and now they are getting stronger again.