American Idol 2008 (Japan schedule - no spoliers please!)

He is probably one of the top 3 right now - people like dreads-guy and Chackeezie (sp.) are just totally average and boring compared. He has the right idea by mixing it all up. I wonder exactly how much say they have in arrangements and things like that, would be interesting to know more on that kind of thing.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads

That song that the chick chose is the most sickly smelly cheesy song I have ever heard. As Simon said, good choice perhaps (God Bless the USA) but I was totally surprised to hear him say it was a great song. I was looking forward to his thoughts on that song and was expecting the opposite.

Simon might be a complete tosser but he's not stupid. If he were to say what every rational person was thinking about that song he'd be torn limb from limb by baying crowds of gun toting mullets. American idol must be making a freakin' fortune - it's best not to rock the gravy train too much.

At this stage it's important to pick a song that people are familiar with. If you then have an original arrangement for it, and it works, people go wild. And Simon would say you show originality.

Eight days a week by Kristy Lee Cook was an exception. An exceptionally bad arrangement for a mediocre song.

It's also handy if Simon thinks you're marketable because then he'll temper his comments and tend to be supportive. If he thinks you're not marketable but still sufficiently entertaining to take votes away from his favorites, he'll stick the boot in.

Thanks for keeping it in spoilers guys. I visit this thread with trepidation.

We had Idol Gives Back (yawn, sorry) and the Australian guy voted off at the weekend.

Warning, spoiler!
I am about to turn on the DVD recorder to watch the elimination.
Warning, spoiler!
I hope virgina lookalike goes home

No results above. Not watched yet.
 Quote:
Simon might be a complete tosser but he's not stupid. If he were to say what every rational person was thinking about that song he'd be torn limb from limb by baying crowds of gun toting mullets. American idol must be making a freakin' fortune - it's best not to rock the gravy train too much.

I like Simon, and don't think he is a tosser at all. After listening to Paula Abdul, it is always relief to hear what he says, and it is often pretty much what I think (I'm not implying I'm great saying that by the way!)

I realise he wasn't going to really crap on the song maybe, but he went further than he needed to by saying what a fantastic song it was etc - I was just surprised at that.

It's on now actually. Blimey that chibbi-ko David guy really has a powerful voice. Not my type but he must be the front-runner. Grannies like him too.

Without Simon, the show would be just a yawnfest. That's why he's paid so much. And I'm sure he's somthing like 4ft9 judging from his tight Tees and head level equal to Paula "I should shut the vuk up" Abdul.

• 2 weeks later...

It was a good result. I don't think I'm giving anything away when I say that Simon's singing last night was actually pretty good and probably the highlight of the show. Good on him for getting up there and showing everyone that for all those years he's been criticising the contestants, he does actually know what he is talking about. Quite surprising just how good he was.