Oops. I was wrong about carbon fibre tubs. I drove Italian cars for more than 20 years because I like the way they drive. I've never been a Ferrari fan though.

Would you buy a second-hand car from this man?

d06chn581.jpg

A bit of double-sided tape will soon fix this up.

1413127.jpg

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are some crashes which will almost always be fatal no matter how safe the equipment, even a 2008 F1 car would struggle with the physics of the following annihilation.

*Warning* a shocking accident, where a car and it's driver completely and utterly disintegrate

Gordon Smiley in the 1982 Indy 500, ignoring the advice of his older wiser peers, by counter steering slides on the banked oval got caught out at 330kph and ploughed straight into the concrete wall. He had done it (counter steer) several times and gotten away with it before his fatal wreck, but the law of averages caught up with him big time

Quote:
"During an attempt to qualify for the Indy 500, Gordon Smiley, a cocky young driver from Texas, was determined to break 200 mph or die trying. Several veteran drivers...had warned him that he was in way over his head, driving all wrong for the Speedway. Smiley was a road racer and was used to counter-steering his car to avoid a crash if the rear wheels broke traction.

While rushing to the car, I noticed small splotches of a peculiar gray substance marking a trail on the asphalt leading up to the driver. When I reached the car, I was shocked to see that Smiley's helmet was gone, along with the top of his skull. He had essentially been scalped by the debris fence. The material on the race track was most of his brain. His helmet, due to massive centrifugal force, was literally pulled from his head on impact...I rode to the care center with the body. On the way in I performed a cursory examination and realized that nearly every bone in his body was shattered. He had a gaping wound in his side that looked as if he had been attacked by a large shark. I had never seen such trauma." (Rapid Response, pp 98-99)Dr Steve Olvey, Indycar Medical Director between 1979 and 2003,.

The broken Ferrari is reputed to be the repaired tub from the accident where Schumacher broke his leg (1999?). That is disputed though, although apparently it is from the same series.

McLaren introduced the MP4/1 in 1981. Smiley's 1982 Indy accident would have been in an aluminium honeycomb car. You can see it telescope as it hits the wall. I wouldn't claim that carbon fibre would have saved him, but it would have offered better protection.

Andrea de Crasheris? He didn't finish too many races did he?

screenshot228yc6.jpg

awful lot of "Ret" in his career chart. You wonder how someone with such a mediocre career managed to last so long.

In he mid 90's there was Ukyo Katayama who had an equally mediocre career.

He became a folk-hero on a weekly sports chat show in NZ called 'TAB sports cafe', they finished their weekly round up of the news with Katayama crashing, it was their running joke and he obliged by providing plenty of content.

screenshot229la2.jpg

F1 about to start, Massa on pole

1. Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari one minute, 27.617 secs

2. Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) McLaren-Mercedes 1:27.808

3. Lewis Hamilton (GB) McLaren-Mercedes 1:27.923

4. Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari 1:27.936

5. Robert Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber 1:28.390

6. Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull-Renault 1:28.417

7. Fernando Alonso (Spa) Renault 1:28.422

8. Jarno Trulli (Ita) Toyota 1:28.836

9. Nick Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber 1:28.882

10. David Coulthard (GB) Red Bull-Renault 1:29.959

11. Nico Rosberg (Ger) Williams-Toyota 1:27.012

12. Rubens Barrichello (Brz) Honda 1:27.219

13. Jenson Button (GB) Honda 1:27.298

14. Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:27.412

15. Timo Glock (Ger) Toyota 1:27.806

16. Kazuki Nakajima (Jpn) Williams-Toyota 1:27.547

17. Nelson Piquet Jr (Brz) Renault 1:27.568

18. Sebastien Bourdais (Fra) Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:27.621

19. Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Force India-Ferrari 1:27.807

20. Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India-Ferrari 1:28.325

• 2 weeks later...

Very happy with the Monaco result. Sutil/Force India must be gutted.

Staying up late to watch the race reminded me of times past. I used to watch them all, but the ex- hated me staying up 14 times per year, and used to give me heaps of grief. I stopped watching.

I don't get the grief any more. Anyone here get a bollocking for watching their sport?

Originally Posted By: SG
"For him to come out of it, then it's just another great example of what has happened with safety over the years," Sir Jackie Stewart said. "If it had been in my day he wouldn't have walked away from that. Not a hope in hell. Watching it and seeing how deeply it was buried was just atrocious. It's a miracle really because there was no deceleration at all. The car just went straight."

Wouldn't it be good if our consumer grade cars had some of this technology and didn't fold up like a deck of cards at the slightest dent...

I'm not quite clear if I understand you.

I have a monster scar on my face from hitting the dashboard as an unrestrained child in about 1961.

The technology has moved substantially since then.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
I'm not quite clear if I understand you.

I have a monster scar on my face from hitting the dashboard as an unrestrained child in about 1961.

The technology has moved substantially since then.

I mean that if I crash at 100km into something solid in a modern car I have a really good chance of dying. If I did the same in a F1 car it is quite likely would be I'd walk away unscathed.

Lets make F1 safety available in modern cars.

Modern cars are safe.

Thankfully the Morris Marina is a thing of the past. My ex- wifes's father thought this piece of shite was England's masterpiece.

The VW Beetle pumps carbon monoxide directly into the cabin from the exhaust system. You'd have thought that Germans would have learned from their experience of mobile gas chambers, but these things are still in production.

Other than the German Shitheap, modern cars are safe.

Modern cars are safe.

Compared with the cell technology of F1 cars consumer cars are hopeless. F1 technology costs heaps more, so this is the real issue. If you are going to race a consumer car on the race track the first thing you have to do is fit a roll cage. Nuff said.

The VW Beetle pumps carbon monoxide directly into the cabin from the exhaust system.

Errr, maybe not. Tell the whole story! You know, the one about which Beatles and the one about rust...
Quote:

Errr, maybe not. Tell the whole story! You know, the one about which Beatles and the one about rust...

Simple. Beetles used air-to-air heater. Whenever the exhaust leaked (which it invariably did) they blead carbon monoxide into the cabin. How do you spell "Mobile gas chamber'.
Originally Posted By: thursday.
anybody who is rich enough and paranoid enough can get himself an armour plated Pullman. That is a road car that dents roads.

My implied point was if all the manufactures did it for all cars then the cost of this sort of safety wouldn't be that high.

offtopic

hey chaps, lets get back onto the F1 2008 hey?

anyway, that was a great race to watch, watched it live via speedtv (good english commentary) at a resonable hour (japan time) on the internet (free streaming).

Raikkonen is wont be on Sutil's Xmas card list this year at all, Sutil must be absolutely gutted.

Nick Heidfield had an appalling race, 4 -5 times on the pits?

Jenson Button must be the easiest guy to overtake, even my nana could get past him.

I just know Piquet would stack it when they put slicks on his car, Alonso was barely holding it together and then they put Piquet on them, crazy stuff. Unless he improves his overall game, it will be a very quick first stint in F1 for Piquet,

Lewis must have been gutted to lose his 40 secs lead at the time, didnt matter in the end though.

Kubica is going to get a win soon, its inevitable.

Barrichello in the points - hisahiburi for that!

Webber is having great season, he will get a podium before the season is out.

Vettel, good to see him get some points.

Nakajima is quietly achieving.

Massa was Massa

Monaco is crazy race, I would love to take a lap in a sports car around it.