Let's F1!

Where better to start the new season than Barcelona. The nation that has brought you Bleeding Bulls.

"Forget whales, we really know how to torture an animal to death. The Japanese have really missed a marketing trick: they don't have a clue. Spain has a 1000 years of history in making animals suffer while they die in the name of public entertainment" said a source.

A Dwarf commented: "..iss about ve bizniss, innit?". I furrowly beleeve in ve traditions of ve sport. It's for rapacious bastards to launder money. Vats why Spa and Silverstone will be dropped for Myanmar and North Korea. Vy should I waste my time trying to skin Silverstone for 50 million qvid when every tin-pot dictator in the world is showering me in money?".

spadbarcelona.jpg

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NG Australian Grand Prix Australian GP Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit Melbourne March 16 15:30 04:30

2 Flag of Malaysia Petronas Malaysian Grand Prix Malaysian GP Sepang International Circuit Kuala Lumpur March 23 15:00 07:00

3 Flag of Bahrain Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix Bahrain GP Bahrain International Circuit Sakhir, Manama April 6 14:30 11:30

4 Flag of Spain Gran Premio de España Telefónica Spanish GP Circuit de Catalunya Barcelona April 27 14:00 12:00

5 Flag of Turkey Petrol Ofisi Turkish Grand Prix Turkish GP Istanbul Park Istanbul May 11 15:00 12:00

6 Flag of Monaco Grand Prix de Monaco Monaco GP Circuit de Monaco Monte-Carlo May 25 14:00 12:00

7 Flag of Canada Grand Prix du Canada Canadian GP Circuit Gilles Villeneuve Montreal June 8 13:00 17:00

8 Flag of France Grand Prix de France French GP Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours Magny Cours June 22 14:00 12:00

9 Flag of the United Kingdom Santander British Grand Prix British GP Silverstone Circuit Silverstone July 6 13:00 12:00

10 Flag of Germany Großer Preis Santander von Deutschland German GP Hockenheimring Hockenheim July 20 14:00 12:00

11 Flag of Hungary ING Magyar Nagydij Hungarian GP Hungaroring Budapest August 3 14:00 12:00

12 Flag of Europe Grand Prix of Europe Telefónica[64] European GP Valencia Street Circuit† Valencia August 24 14:00 12:00

13 Flag of Belgium ING Belgian Grand Prix Belgian GP Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps Spa September 7 14:00 12:00

14 Flag of Italy Gran Premio Santander d'Italia Italian GP Autodromo Nazionale Monza Monza September 14 14:00 12:00

15 Flag of Singapore SingTel Singapore Grand Prix Singapore GP Singapore Street Circuit† Singapore September 28 20:00[65] 12:00

16 Flag of Japan Fuji Television Japanese Grand Prix Japanese GP Fuji Speedway Oyama October 12 13:30 04:30

17 Flag of the People's Republic of China Sinopec Chinese Grand Prix Chinese GP Shanghai International Circuit Shanghai October 19 15:00 07:00

18 Flag of Brazil Grande Prêmio do Brasil Brazilian GP Autódromo José Carlos Pace São Paulo November 2

It works like this. It costs $50 million for a piece of paper giving you the right to hold a race. In addition, you have to provide a circuit and facilities of the appropriate standard.

TV revenue goes to Bernie, so the costs have to be found from gate receipts. Even if you own the track and facilities unemcumbered (e.g. Silverstone is owned by the BRDC), a commercial model can't be made to work.

In short: the races that survive will be those that receive some kind of public subsidy. Club and enthusiast-run races will be lost. Think Spa.

Bstards thumbsdown.gif

I guess it's the thrill of making the deal. Bernie's come a long way for a used car salesman from South London. I don't begrudge him getting rich, but trampling over history and in pursuit of the corporate and public dollars is avarice.

Spa isn't just about history either. It is the hardest test in F1.

• 2 weeks later...
 Originally Posted By: soubriquet
. I don't begrudge him getting rich.

or marrying a hot model 28 years his junior and nearly a foot taller than him!

Bernie sounds like a right w***er when he gets interviewed on race day though.
  • 3 weeks later...

Qualifying! I mised it

Final qualifying times for the Australian Grand Prix

1. Lewis Hamilton, Britain, McLaren-Mercedes, 1 minute, 26.714 seconds.

2. Robert Kubica, Poland, BMW-Sauber, 1:26.869.

3. Heikki Kovalainen, Finland, McLaren-Mercedes, 1:27.079.

4. Felipe Massa, Brazil, Ferrari, 1:27.178.

5. Nick Heidfeld, Germany, BMW-Sauber, 1:27. 236.

6. Jarno Trulli, Italy, Toyota, 1:28. 527.

7. Nico Rosberg, Germany, Williams, 1:28.687.

8. David Coulthard, Britain, Red Bull, 1:29.041.

9. Timo Glock, Germany, Toyota, 1:29.593.

10. Sebastian Vettel, Germany, Toro Rosso, did not start.

Eliminated after second session

11. Rubens Barrichello, Brazil, Honda, 1:26.173.

12. Fernando Alonso, Spain, Renault, 1:26.188.

13. Jenson Button, Britain, Honda, 1:26.259.

14. Kazuki Nakajima, Japan, Williams, 1:26.413.

15. Mark Webber, Australia, Red Bull, did not finish.

16. Kimi Raikkonen, Finland, Ferrari, did not start.

Eliminated after first session

17. Giancarlo Fisichella, Italy, Force India, 1:27.207.

18. Sebastien Bourdais, France, Toro Rosso, 1:27.446.

19. Adrian Sutil, Germany, Force India, 1;27.859.

20. Takuma Sato, Japan, Super Aguri, 1:28.208.

21. Nelson Piquet Jr., Brazil, Renault, 1:28.330.

22. Anthony Davidson, Britian, Super Aguri, 1:29.059.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
>1. Lewis Hamilton, Britain, McLaren-Mercedes, 1 minute, 26.714 seconds.
>12. Fernando Alonso, Spain, Renault, 1:26.188.
>16. Kimi Raikkonen, Finland, Ferrari, did not start.

That made me smile \:\)

Soubs, cmon you know Ham made that time with a race forth of fuel ne?
Anyway Todays race brought tears to my eyes.

Im getting old.

After all the trouble my dear team had to go thru last year i was beyond happy to see Ham on top today, equally happy to see Ron Dennis with his team again this year.
Today was a perfect day for McLaren and me. They got a fast car, reliability is on top, everything worked well in 37 degrees heat. both drivers made (almost) no mistakes.

Normal services has been resumed

After clocking a 75 hour work week, i got a near perfect surf session in this morning. Went home for lunch and F1. McLaren won and i could go back to an absolutly perfect evening surf, only my wife and me out in sweet waves.
2x Nama, shower and off to bed. life is all right after all \:\)

An excellent result. I was always a Williams man, but when they let Damon Hill go, they let me go too.

I'm sick of the Ferrari/Italian politics. We've seen Lotus (Rindt's death), Williams (Senna's death) and now McLaren (Stepney's leak) spending years and years being dragged through the Italian courts.

I'm glad you have had a good day. Mine was shite. I've been trying to contact No1 son to wish him happy birthday, but my ISP has been blocked and the phone is off the hook. Sometimes the simplest things in life can be very difficult.