Due to overwhelming demands (thanks muika) here are a couple of shots I took today.

Very snowy drive in after yesterday's fall.

soubriquet_187.jpg

Yamagata Akakura Onsen. Perfect snow, and empty. Situation normal.

soubriquet_188.jpg

Akakura is set in a tiny little rift valley in the heart of the mountains between Yamagata and Miyagi. The rocks here are very hot.

This is Onikobe (or Onikoube), in Miyagi. It's about 50km drive, and a little closer than Zao. It's easy at the bottom, fun at the top, and challenging in between. It's my No1 local ski jo, and quite a nice little resort. The hotel is very comfortable.

soubriquet_189.JPG

The ridge.

soubriquet_139.jpg

This an entry off the ridge.

soubriquet_190.jpg

Coming down off the ridge.

soubriquet_140.jpg

Thanks charlotte. Most places around here are very small. Onikobe is probably the only one worth traveling any distance for. The mountains around here aren't big, but as samurai wrote elsewhere, the snow is always fresh. Think of us as being small but perfectly formed \:\)

Yes, Zao is much bigger than Onikobe. I should have phrased that more clearly. Of the places I visit regularly (above), Onikobe is the only one worth travelling for.

Zao is a bit of a stretch for me as it involves using either the painful and slow Route 13, or the Expressway to get there.

About 90 minutes if I use the expressway. It's not normally worth the effort and expense for the short sessions I normally ski. Last season was an exception because I met up with sunrise. That made it a lot more fun than skiing alone.