You're supposed to use mommy... seriuosly. I'm quite sure every mom's dream is to have her baby's first word be "mommy". You're supposed to model that stuff and hook up your wife with that first word. ;\)

By the way, congratulations! thumbsup.gif

Originally Posted By: thursday.
now that we have a baby, my wife has taken to calling me daddy as if our baby was speaking.

But I still call her by her name

i gotta admit i've always found it weird when couples start calling each other "mummy" and "daddy". i can only imagine how bizarre things must get in the sack
 Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Someone today asked me "do people always call their b/f g/f wives etc 'sweetheart'? I laughed because I would never say that, but then started to wonder.

Is sweetheart a word you would use?

Only when asking my secretary to run along and make me a cup of tea whilst patting her bum as she goes out! ;\)

wouldnt use it often - no.

"Honey" we use a lot more.

Ohhh and sad to say it is a rare bub that says Mama before Dada.

It is actually more difficult for them to say. Developmentally - Dads win! Unless of course you teach your baby sign language, because they can sign well before they can talk - something to do with no choking as a newborn and some area of the throat needing to shift lower to allow for speech - read it in some research paper in my Uni days... Signing Mum in Auslan is easier than signing Dad.

The "Mummy", "Daddy" thing usually wears off as the kid talks for themselves - and it is a new parent phenomena for the most part. Jaded multiple time parents are much less likely to be so Kawaiiii!!

cool. My baby holds a fist and moves it up and down when he sees me. Maybe his mum taught him. lol.gif

I haven't mean actively saying daddy daddy in from of him but his mum is very actively saying mummy mummy all the time at him.

Originally Posted By: samurai
that makes sense mamabear. I also read somewhere that babies learn to sign quite early. It was recommended by moms to develop communications skills. Thanks for reminding me.

I only had one signer out of the 4. Bear cub #2. He picked it up really fast and was communicating his needs by 6 months no worries. Didn't walk til he was 12 months but boy could that kid boss me around!!

He did not speak until he was 18 months because he saw no need. He was in day care and his daycarer chucked a fit because he was signing to her and not talking. She thought he was developmentally behind. Well one day he opened his mouth and spoke in sentances. Doing really well in English (unlike his brothers), and has brilliant social skills (also unlike his brothers).

I often wonder if it was genetics, or the signing, or just an 'Act of God'. LOL Who knows!?

Yes, but only for my daughter who's still little and not so often. There are loads of cutier, funnier, happier, more endearing, more original and simply better ways to say the same thing.

Sweetheart to an adult sounds condescending or at least insincere. It reminds me of that awful woman in "Secrets and Lies".
 Originally Posted By: farquah
Someone today asked me "do people always call their b/f g/f wives etc 'sweetheart'? I laughed because I would never say that, but then started to wonder.

Only when asking my secretary to run along and make me a cup of tea whilst patting her bum as she goes out! ;\)

lol.gif Quality!!!

Yeah, sweetheart isn't a word that I use unless I'm taking the piss!!
I sometimes call her "Baby-chan" though
 Originally Posted By: spook
now that we have a baby, my wife has taken to calling me daddy as if our baby was speaking.

i gotta admit i've always found it weird when couples start calling each other "mummy" and "daddy". i can only imagine how bizarre things must get in the sack

that begs the question, who's yo daddy?! lol.gif \:D

I think calling your spouse by daddy, mommy, and the likes is very strange. I wouldnt want to be called by that.

While I would be happy to hear the feeling, I wouldn't want someone to call me sweetheart. I like originality, so I want an original name.

Originally Posted By: spook

lol.gif
Actually we do that! It's even better when my son's hot Kindy teacher calls me "Daddy".. crazy.gif

We sometimes use Honey and it cracked us up one day when our youngest one yells out to me or my wife "Honey"!

Everyone had pet names.. but FUR BURGER??? Mantas.. let's try to keep it clean eh!

+1 would be likely to wallop me one if I did! She is also likely to react badly if a salesgirl called her that. It is, as said elsewhere, quite a condescending and insincere "fluff" word. Kinda like "dearie" or "darl", both of which give me the horrors.