Japanese post - slowed down?

Is it just me or does it seem to take longer for things to arrive by post of late? I ordered something from Amazon and it took 1 full month instead of the usual 10 days. It has also taken 4 days or so for within Japan post to arrive and I have noticed a few other things from the UK taking longer than they usually do?

Anyone else noticed this or am I just being unlucky?

Originally Posted By: rach
Is it just me or does it seem to take longer for things to arrive by post of late? I ordered something from Amazon and it took 1 full month instead of the usual 10 days. It has also taken 4 days or so for within Japan post to arrive and I have noticed a few other things from the UK taking longer than they usually do?

Anyone else noticed this or am I just being unlucky?

amazon jp or US? My Jp stuff always gets here in 1-2 days if they have stock. If you ordered from the US amazon then your dates got hit in the xmas rush and new years.. Unlucky I'd say.

We use Yamato post services now. 80 yen to A4 size for domestic and takes 2 maybe 3 days at the max.

I sent a package home from Tokyo - and it is there already!! Just a week!!

Sadly my Japanese is not good enough to ask if there were any cheaper options for postage as I was in no rush. Should have taken the boy! Lesson learnt - the boy must interpret for his mother!!

While I don't doubt your post is taking time as you say, why would this change slow things down? Unless they have made huge organisational changes very quickly, which seems unlikely this being Japan!

Can't say I agree with some posters. I've always found the postal service here prompt. On international posts I'm inclined to think delays may be from t'other side.

Today - Sunday - it snowed all day here in what is generally non-snowing turf, and the postie parked his bike down the hill and was walking house to house with deliveries slipping & sliding all over the place.

Could I get that service in Oz - no f'kin way!!!!

NO WAY!

I ordered some snowball makers and inflatable sleds and stuff for the kids from the USA - they were expected in November - as far as I am aware they are still not at my place - and here we are in the Japan snow...

I reckon my local PO has them tucked away in a back corner under a half empty pizza box - they 'lost' a box for 6 weeks, then miraculously it appeared when I rocked up with a 'sorry we missed you - pick it up at the PO" Slip for a SIGNATURE ARTICLE. The mystery box was not a signature article, and one of the young boys behind the desk when I questioned if there might be another parcel as well said "ohh yeah - that box has been here for WEEKS - but I haven't seen any signature article for you". GROAN!

Australia Post has really let it slide in the parcel delivery stakes at least in my area this past year!

I am not comparing Japanese post with overseas post.

I am comparing Japanese post now (the last 2 months) with Japanese post since I have been in Japan - which is quite a few years now.

It seems other people are also experiencing a slowdown from what we are used to. I certainly am, and it is not about Christmas - that's why I posted in the first place.

Interesting to hear that other people are experiencing similar. Since I started the thread I spoke to a few Japanese friends and one of them at first said they didn't know but then "come to think of it"....

I haven't noticed a difference in time but I do think that Post Office staff (in both Japan and the UK) are clueless. I always find that I know more about sending international parcels than the staff and have to tell them what to do, which labels to use etc.