When you enter the powder through a resort control point (e.g., Gate 2 at top of Annupuri in Niseko) is this considered the backcountry?

If this is the backcountry, what type of gear should I have in my day-pack? I always ride with a partner, but I am new to boarding so I do not know all the proper BC gear to carry with me.

I have seen many boarders sporting Black Diamond and Dakine packs. It looks like they have a walkie talkie, telescoping poles, snowshoes, shovel, and two tubes on the shoulder straps. I am guessing from web searching one is a water nozzle and the other is some type of air nozzle. Not sure how the air nozzle is intended to work.

So, just observing different riders I am guessing the following are minimal requirements for safer riding:

1. Poles

2. Snowshoes

3. Shovel

4. Hydration system

5. Walkie Talkie type of device

Looking at the selection of available gear, it is overwhelming to make smart choices.

Thats considered "poaching", BC would be to hike to an area that is not served by the lifts. Still, you will still need the same gear as BC, because you are entering areas not avie controlled by the resort.

Permit me to change the ranking and items on you list.

[Minimum Requirements]

1. Beacon

2. Probe

3. Shovel

[items that would make your life easier]

4. Snowshoes

5. Poles

6. Hydration system

[gear junky luxuries smile.gif]

6. Walkie Talkie type of device

Its also a good idea to curie with you extra food, first aid kit, a rope and pit digging equipment. I guess you can split these items among the group to share the weight.

What's in your head is as important as what's in your pack.

As is your ability to actually ride there.

It's good to ask people things, but don't think you can get clued up enough from an internet forum after a few months snowboarding! (I.I.A.N.M.)

classes and lessons in snow management? or turning?

We don't mean to be discouraging. It's just that wild snow is incredibly dangerous stuff. It's really easy to make a simple mistake (especially out of ignorance) and have it result in horrific consequences.

by all means, study up on the forums. But, if you are willing to invest the initial 5man (or so) to get you situated with some gear, surely you'd be willing to take an entry level avi course for 2man?

just a side note- I usually test my partners the first time I ski with them if there is a chance we'll be headed into avi prone areas. I get ahead of them on a run, drop my beacon in a tree-well and wait for them to catch up. Then I tell them that they have 5 minutes to find my beacon. I usually do this in the piste areas of resorts. Or the parking lot of the cafe, or whatever. I think I do it more for the look on their faces.

I don't want to link from here as it's against forum rules, but do a Google search for "Teton Gravity Research" enter the "community" of their website and check the ski and avalanche forums. Even in the skiing forum you'll see almost as many threads about the nasty things that can happen in uncontrolled areas as you will about the good things. I am keen to get mreo involved too, but steady progress based on a reliable toolkit of skiing/boarding techniques as well as the guidance of someone experienced are definitely a better option than just heading out the gates because everybody else is. That's how I see it anyway.

Another good spot is telemark tips. Between TGR and TTtips there is quite a bit of information. You should defiantly read some of the stories about what can go wrong in avalanche terrain.

I wouldn't consider going through a resort gate backcountry. The term normally used is frontcountry. I consider backcountry as areas not accessible from a resort at all, places where you really need to earn your turns.

And something to note Samui is that it's basically useless buying all the gear mentioned above unless you are going to be out there with others who have and know how to use it as well.

GN, I was explained BC as you described. I was posting here to get confirmation.

I had not heard the term frontcountry.

The specific areas I was referencing are the bowl runs along the Annupuri Gates. There is also a run in Hanazono that is accessible from the top. I had not considered these areas BC, but having seen many people with the daypacks I began to wonder.

I am not venturing off on a 2o-30minute hike to make a backside run or having a snowmobile or snowcat drag me up to some point on the mountain.

Understood about having a partner with the same gear.

But if your going to learn the slack areas bordering resorts is a good place to start developing the skills needed to begin heading into more remote areas. These areas generally may require some hiking or skining. Possibliy run some beacon drills.

However if you do head back that direction make sure it's with some one that is knowledgeable

I've never met you and maybe you're a natural athlete but if it were me I wouldn't be going. It seems like last week you were having trouble with toe side turns. I doubt you would have the skills to react on your board if something went wrong. Even traversing or skating along a runout needs skills. A 10 minute track out could take you an hour...

but whatever, just hope you take our comments and keep them in the back of your head when you go. Remember safety first!

for my semantic tongue

BC= outside of ski area boundaries. albeit 20 miles into the wilderness or through a resort's gate to another peak somewhere. (the latter usually done with some sort of permission from patrol in the states.)

Sidecountry is a modern word that refers to short hikes/skins from resort boundaries. The Marker Duke is being marketed as a good sidecountry binding. 'side' refering to the sides of the resort. this is an example of where BC and SC could overlap in their definitions.

Frontcountry just entered my vocabulary today. Not quite sure I like it. but that's just my opinion. Sounds like a word to explain hiking and skiing the neighborhood hill.... that maybe doesn't have any avi hazards that would be associated with the bc. I'm thinking either GN made it up, or another non-north American rider from over-seas here in Japan used it with GN.

I never duck the rope. I was only talking about going through the gates. Specifically, the gates on Annupuri side of Niseko. There was a ski patrol guy stationed at one of the gates on one windy day advising people to use a lower gate.

Toe-side turns were mastered on day 2 of riding, prior to lessons.

I am not doing any hiking or skinning. I am talking only about taking the lift up, riding down the run a little and then popping through a gate.

What about paying the money and doing a guided experience.

There are brochures galore here offering alternatives to piste running.

My husband - the knee surgery guy - went snowshoeing on night this week, and then took the teen boys on a snowmobile tour for half a day another day. Both of these tours were professionally run and organised by very personable guides. I would expect the BC guided tours by these and similar reputable companies would be good, and they would be safe.

It is the little things.

No way I would just launch myself over a big drop into ungroomed between tree's but when my instructor did it first and said follow my line - no problem.

The kids are in snowboard school - and even the 8 yr old was being taught to sit and analyse and pick a line through the powder and tree's today.

All INBOUNDS.

Samui, you obviously LOVE the sport, but you are pushing a bit fast. Book a guide.

In Japan being a guide can sometimes just mean that you decided to call yourself a guide... try to see what experience/qualifications they have beforehand. The extra courage you get from the reassuring presence of a guide might not be a good thing if your faith in his skills isn't justified (obviously not attacking your guide Mamabear, just a general observation).

No no point taken KoM,

Our people were great. But as I said 'similar reputable companies' should be good and safe. Definately worth checking them out beforehand.

But a good guide with all the appropriate experience and training could not only make the trip safer for Samui and friends, but also a lot more enjoyable.