Since I was a kid I hated taking my shirt off and sunbathing when my family went to Spain. Maybe because I easily burnt, but I didn't like it. I still don't get it. Some people I know just LOVE getting that tan and showing it off, they get very proud. They look a silly orange/brown strange color to me. All looks silly more than anything.

Whats the situation in Japan? You see people with quite dark skin and then almost the opposite white.

Tans. What do you think?

griller you a UK-er? They tend to holiday in Spain and BAKE in the sun! My rellies are still in the 'old Country' and they oil up and bake in the West Oz sun when they come to visit...bizarre!

My kids think I have lilly white sun delicate skin because I have not been in the sun a lot since my early 20's, they can't work out where they got thier olive easily tanned skin from...and they also can;t work out why people are always shocked that I am thier Mum. ummmm...coz I haven't got the wrinkles that come with my age because I tend to stear clear of tanning!!

Although I have picked up a bit more color this year, as I have got back in the pool this season. I was a competitive swimmer pre-Uni days, and after getting fed up with so many "f" words in my life (Fat, unFit, Forty) I decided to get back into it and do something about two of them!

Tanning - yeah - looks good coz the glossy mag's are selling us 14 yr old anorexic girls with Tanning Salon tans...are we are buying it. But really a few years of tanning and you get those years added on in face lines - not to mention Skin Cancer.

From always being in the sun for sports I am used to being brown. The ghostly white shades I get here in the winter make me sick when I look in the mirror!

I don't go out to specifically tan. When you are surfing without a top on it's un avoidable. I'm aware of skin cancer and have regular check ups.

Japanese people tend to go very very dark. (besides those white white ones!) My kids got my wife's skin and a few days in the sun and they are dark like you wouldn't believe!

Most girls in Japan hate getting dark skin, its a complete opposite of the silliness of a lot of western women, opposite as in its just as silly but at the complete other side of the silliness spectrum. Its almost a mania. They even use whitening cream to lighten their complexion.

Elderly ladies who work outside a lot will cover up to the point of being confused with a colourblind, elderly ninja.

Being from Australia, I know the importance of keeping out of the sun when you can, but there will always be some who will take it too far! \:D

Of course there are the Gyaru type girls who are into tans. And heavy make up. And big hair. Fashion trend only methinks. A few years back there were girls called Yamamba, who darkened themselves artificially quite a lot and then wore white lipstick and eyeliner etc. A unique look for sure!

my wife got a sweet bikini tan in Hawaii a couple of summers ago. That tan lasted like a year-- no joke. I used to tease her... that she wasn't human for not shedding skin.

(She doesn't have any body odor at all either. very strange girl. Hmmm... maybe i did marry an alien.)

the asian obsession with whiteness is a class thing isn't it? working class people work in the fields and get tanned, so in order to appear non-working class, many asian people cover up in order to stay white

i like being brown, but it's by virtue of being outdoors alot. i am pretty good with wearing t-shirts and sunscreen, but the warmth of sun just feels so great on skin. i don't sunbake in order to get tanned though, i just enjoy doing outdoorsy things

i've never understood ttanning salons or fake tans though. i find it very weird. especially the orange people in the uk. they look ridiculous and they're not foolong anybody, yet they persist with it.

I agree with Warhawk.

Going out just to cook your skin in the sun is stupid but so are skin whitening creams and avoiding the sun completely.

I think really white people look unhealthy as I just imagine that they are always indoors and never do any sport. I know that's not true and is just a sterotype. I guess it comes from when I was in school when it was always the surfers who were tanned.

A tan aqcuired through an active outdoor lifestyle had got to be healthier than staying indoors, not exercising and covering yourself in bleaching cream.

At the end of the day everything in moderation is best, so I wear a hat, use suncream and never get burnt but don't worry about getting a tan.

In indonesia it is a class thing for sure.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that most Japanese girls don't like getting tanned. The "One kei" girls aren't into tans but I know alot of chicks love tans.

When we were in OZ recently we did our best to avoid the sun, especially on the 38-44 degree days. Just have to stay under the shade and go to the beach late arvo.

I learnt quite a harsh lesson when I was young. My family was at the beach on an overcast but hot day, and I was only in shorts, mucking about in the rockpools with my cousins. The next day I was in the most excruciating pain I have ever known, my whole back, shoulders and backs of my legs were really, really badly sunburnt. I didn't put on more suncream after taking my shirt off, against mums wishes. \:\( Dang.

The whole lot ended up peeling away like a sheet. After the blistering of course!

Tanning is an English obsession for sure. if you leave the UK for a holiday in a warm country and return without a tan, you have failed.

My in-laws have total disregard for the dangers of tanning. When they come here to visit, they take the kids out for the day and sure as hell they'll bring them home burnt and frazzled. If we say anything they think we are being weird and paranoid.

They are currently running anti-tanning ads here on TV with the slogan.

"There's nothing healthy about a tan"

Indo-I agree about the white skin/ class thing in Indonesia. The Dutch started all that

if you leave the UK for a holiday in a warm country and return without a tan, you have failed.

Yes thats right. And people come back with the most ridiculous looking orange colour and get told they "look healthy". Makes me laugh.

Originally Posted By: spook
the asian obsession with whiteness is a class thing isn't it? working class people work in the fields and get tanned, so in order to appear non-working class, many asian people cover up in order to stay white

It was a class thing in Britain too, the upper classes didn't work (at all??) outside and so if you had dark skin you were considered a peasant.

Those days are gone now in the UK as tans are all the rage. You can barely walk 2 streets over without seeing a tanning salon.

Me on the other hand burn like newspaper on a bonfire. I take no chances and when I'm here and when I was in Oz, every day (in summer here) I'd slather on factor 30. During my year in Oz, I naturally darkened even with the sun cream but I never burned. I like going to the beach but I don't lie with my top off, I will have shorts and t=shirt on and a hat.

In summer during university holidays I spent 3-4 months on road construction crew, my kit: stubbies and a tank top!

My shoulders were black and my legs had the rudest sock line, it went from brown to white, looked hilarious in jandals

These days I just dont care about tans, I wear long sleeve T-shirts and 'past the knees' baggy shorts. I wear a rash shirt when swimming and a hat when outside in the sun.

My mother has had one melanoma cut out of her, they cut out a big ole chunk of flesh with it too and old friend back home also had the exact same thing done last year.

I am prime candidate myself and quite frankly dont give a crap about being pasty white. Better white than dead.

I have noticed that British people in sunny holiday destinations throw caution to the wind and lie out in the sun until they are lobsters, a rite of passage for them or something? or as Big Will says - presenting an image.

The people with the rudest sunburn are almost always the Brits!

When I first came to Japan, I chuckled at the Obaasans in the fields with zero skin showing: long sleeves, white gloves, neck scarves, massive brimmed straw hats. Now, I get it.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
There's nothing worse than a topless Scot. ;\)

haha, especially one that Nature has designed to live in the cold and as such has provided built in cover, front and back!!!

Shouts of "Gorilla on the beach!!" plauged me during my year in Oz!!! lol.gif