Forbes Traveler names Niseko Number 2 Snowiest Resort in the World

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changes are a coming, look at Higashiyama. Just the website alone has gotten a million times better. And Hilton coming in to manage from summer? People should open their eyes, that's a huge WOW!!!

Next, Hanazono!

SJ#1 even here in Niseko it is still very frustrating. The investment by Tokyu Resorts over the last five years in developing the resort, lifts and terrain has been minimal. From what I have heard meetings with top management at Tokyu still reveals a prevailing attitude that all the foreign investment is just a bubble that will inevitably burst.

They don't seem to get the idea that sure it may all burst if they don't develop the ski area and lifts to cater more to the desires of the foreign market that has transformed this place. I just wish they would sell Hirafu to a foreign company that has some idea of how to create a resort that will meet needs and wants of the international skiing market. Then we will have sustained development here.

I doubt there's any money in running lifts at current prices. That said, I'd love someone to prove me wrong. As for resort development, Niseko is the big hope for all of Japan. If they can't do it there, it won't happen anywhere else.

As for Forbes, I seriously cannot see the average Forbes reader rocking up at Charmant Hiuchi with their 4,000 yen from the conbeni ticket with the free onsen and 1200 yen lunch. In that case, there's not much point in mentioning it. Great little hill though, and really nice folk.

This all just reflects Japan as a whole, very very very slow at embracing change, especially when the Gaijin factor is thrown in. For a country so advanced its awfully backwards!!!

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
This all just reflects Japan as a whole, very very very slow at embracing change, especially when the Gaijin factor is thrown in. For a country so advanced its awfully backwards!!!

You obviously work in public education, Tubby.

haha yeah!!

But I haven't always, its just been my experience that any change in Japan happens at a slow rate, well when that change has been suggested from an outsider. The "its always been this way" attitude is very strong here.

well..i have my 2 cents. my local mountain on vancouver island in BC: Mt. Washington is way too low. they currently have the highest snowpack in north america at 380cm MID MOUNTAIN. it is not unheard of for them to have OVER 500CM mid mountain. the only place that comes close is mt baker in washington state.

somebody has done something to promote their place and so safeguard their investment. Isn't it a bit coincidental that an American fiancial group bought a resort, are making changes to bring it into the first world and suddenly it gets noticed by American mainstream media.

Hellooooo??? Any marketers out there? That's one hell of a stunt. Well done thumbsup.gif

• 4 months later...

Molochan, Scotland is a great place, let down by the weather perhaps (though I don't suppose it would be as green without that).

The Japanese people I know who have been to Scotland have all loved it.

Sorry offtopic

Not only Japanese, my friend studied in Dundee and loved it. (although she says it took her 1 year to understand what on earth they are talking about razz )

She went back to Greece worked 2-3 years, hated it and now is back to Scotland again. I might go and visit her sometime.