"Festivus is an annual holiday invented by Reader's Digest writer and editor Daniel O'Keefe. It was introduced to popular culture by O'Keefe's son Daniel, a scriptwriter for the TV show Seinfeld, on December 18, 1997, in the episode "The Strike". (Season 9, Episode 10) The holiday is celebrated each year on December 23, but many people celebrate it at other times, often to avoid the Christmas rush. The holiday includes novel practices such as the "Airing of Grievances", in which each person tells everyone else all the ways they've disappointed him/her over the past year. Also, after the Festivus meal, the "Feats of Strength" are performed, involving wrestling the head of the household to the floor, the holiday only ending if the head of the household is actually pinned.

Some people, influenced or inspired by Seinfeld, now celebrate the holiday, in varying degrees of seriousness; some carefully following rules from the TV show or books, others humorously inventing their own versions."

More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus

Originally Posted By: snowbender
"Festivus is an annual holiday invented by Reader's Digest writer and editor Daniel O'Keefe. It was introduced to popular culture by O'Keefe's son Daniel, a scriptwriter for the TV show Seinfeld, on December 18, 1997, in the episode "The Strike". (Season 9, Episode 10) The holiday is celebrated each year on December 23, but many people celebrate it at other times, often to avoid the Christmas rush. The holiday includes novel practices such as the "Airing of Grievances", in which each person tells everyone else all the ways they've disappointed him/her over the past year. Also, after the Festivus meal, the "Feats of Strength" are performed, involving wrestling the head of the household to the floor, the holiday only ending if the head of the household is actually pinned.

Some people, influenced or inspired by Seinfeld, now celebrate the holiday, in varying degrees of seriousness; some carefully following rules from the TV show or books, others humorously inventing their own versions."

Ah yes. I can still hear George's father say: "A Festivus for the Rest of us". I also remember the "Feats if Strength" part involved a pole for some crazy ritual before the wrestling began.
 Originally Posted By: big-will
I got a Christmas present yesterday from the US.
Seinfeld seasons 1-9 complete box set. Nice \:D

Wow, that's some present! It must be worth at least US$500. I have the complete Box Sex for Cheers. That's pretty funny too, as is Friends. But Seinfeld is easily my favourite comedy series ever.
 Originally Posted By: big-will
I got a Christmas present yesterday from the US.
Seinfeld seasons 1-9 complete box set. Nice \:D

One of the funniest things I've ever seen was Seinfeld doing stand up. It went for about 30mins. farking hilarious. thumbsup.gif lol.gif

I am giving hubby the box set of "Big Love" for Christmas - another interesting show - although it has nothing to do with this topic or thread, and the segue here was box sets.... I'll just go back to my bubbly bottle of veuve shall I? Note to self: Do not chat on forums after an all day party at your house...