I just bought a snowboard. I've never boarded before and asked the guy in the shop to show me everything I need. He stuck a grip thing on. But I've just realized he didn't suggest a lead. I think I remember from when I've been skiing that boarders have a velcrove thing around one ankle and the other end attached to the board so it doesn't shoot off down the slope when they fall over. Is that a standard thing for boards?

As far as I am aware leashes are not compulsory in Japan. There are some resorts around the world that require boarders to wear a leash to prevent runaway boards.

However there is a fair bit of debate about thier effectiveness...

We copped a bit of stick from a friend because our 10yr old had an escapee board in April. It was his first time on a board and it got away from him after he had stepped out of the bindings (we caught it pretty quick!). The popular small leashes that are used nowdays are useless in this scenario, as you need to unclip them to step out anyway. They are really only going to help you out in the event of binding failure after a serious fall - which I would assume is pretty rare...Bindings now are much more reliable than in the early days when the rules about using leashes were made.

The only effective leash is a long one - one that you can velcro around knee height and can keep attached when you are walking with board in hand. I have bought 2 of these for this next trip to help the little cubs keep control of thier boards.

I use a small leash - but I think it is just a token gesture - not a productive piece of equipment.

That is my 2 bob...

they ARE useless.

they are only useful in 2 cases

1) should all 4 of your binding straps simultaneously break

2) the miniscule time frame that exists between putting on the strap and putting your foot in the binding.

i instruct, and i emphasize board safety, especially concerning runaway boards, but i don't see how a lash helps, unless its an extendable one that you wear ALL THE TIME, even when you are hiking the pipe.

But just by learning some simple strap-in procedures (like always bracing the board by stepping on it with on foot while you strap the other in) makes the issues of leashes pretty much obsolete.

a leash is a good idea if you are boarding for the first few times, fatigue is a funny thing and can make you do dumb stuff.

I have seen a few runaway boards flying down the hill and when i say flying actually flying, Pretty dangerous straight lining at mach 10 not to mention what I can only imagine would be a long embarrassing walk to try find your board.

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
Are you sure you didn't just buy a dog instead?

;\)

What did you get in the end?

board, boots, foot grip, pads, coat, salopettes, gloves, bag.

So it sounds like the board doesn't come off both feet when you crash? If it's only to stop it running away when stepping into the bindings, that doesn't sound too risky. Maybe I can do without.
 Originally Posted By: Fattwins
Oyuki tell that to the 3 run away boards I saw last season at 47 in one day.

There is a fine line between knowing what your board can do and having lawno clue.

Leash it up or seriously expect a lawsuit

i have never seen a runaway board due to not using a leash properly, as far back as my memory can remember. Like i said, the only time it would be useful if for the time between putting it on, and then putting your foot in the bnding. Which is what, a second and a half?

I have seen boards fly down the hill due to

1) people carrying them in their arms, and then slipping or letting go of them (which i will admit, MAY be helped only if you wear a big coil leash, which almost no-one uses. Everyone i know uses ones with a strap a maximum of a foot long, way too short to keep strapped on while walking)

2) people tobogganing/standing up on their boards and falling off (which is not very common, and comon sense that the board will run away)

3) and the most common scenario, like what i saw today, is someone puttin their board base down on the snow and turning their back on it. In my lessons i always teach to never do that, fits the very first thing in the lesson, even before warm-up.

and I always use a leash when i snowsk8.

FT is right in that a leash to prevent runaway boards is a very good idea - and will prevent accidents and injuries from runaway boards.

My point is that the leashes commonly available are next to useless at stopping runaway boards.

The ones that have more 'give' - either long knee strap or extendable - that you wear ALL the time are effective. They are just blimen hard to find!

The reason we only have two straps is because that is ALL that was available - no more stock. And I got them sent from the USA. I also like the longer straps because you can use them to make a shoulder carry strap for your board - it makes them easier to carry which is a plus for every parent that gets stuck carrying thier kids board for them!

the majority of runaway boards, in my experience, is from people putting them base down, or in a posiion where they fall base down and take off. And no leash cord is gonna help that.

People have to learn to put their boards down properly.

I wear a leash, but its tiny. Its just a clip that is wrapped around my toe strap then gets clipped to my boot. I don't see the hassle. For the extra 3 seconds it takes to put on it prevents silly mistakes like your board running down the hill. It doesn't get in the way, it isn't uncomfortable, its just happilly doing its thing. I have it clipped to my leading foot so even when I unclip one foot for getting on the chairlift, its still connected to me. The only time I unclip the leash is when I'm taking the board completely off (ie for a pee or for when I go for lunch) or when I am finished for the day.

It has to be said though that I am a piste-runner. Not really started exploring the BC, in which case having to clip and unclip all day for hiking etc, could be a pain in the arse

I mean its safer if for some reason you unclip your whole foot and sit down, then the board can't accidently slide down the slope. i don't really see the problem with them, I think its better to have one than not, personal choice maybe.

2 cents from mr snowluvva...

its usually beginners that would lose there board, and i have had a board go past my face at mach speed after it hit a mogul and almost took my head off (which would have made future snowbaording a bit hard;) )use a leash until your confident then get rid of it, as they have no point once your sorted...if you ever have to take your board off near a slope, always put your board bindings down into the snow, so it cant runaway, and across the slope...sorry if im being captain obvious..

I think the fact that a leash is connected to the board and has to be connected and disconnected at least raises awareness among newbies that runaway boards can kill. I saw this dude loose a board - it went ripping down the mountain and cut a guy's head clean off his shoulders!

Originally Posted By: SirJibAlot
I think the fact that a leash is connected to the board and has to be connected and disconnected at least raises awareness among newbies that runaway boards can kill.

I don't see how a leash raises awareness that runaway boards can kill wakaranai.gif

I have had experience of having mates not allowed on the lifts until they have gone to get a leash (dynaland). This is not common however, and I actually got by at the same time having my leash connected from my binding back onto the binding, instead of my boot.

As has been said above the only leashes that are actually going to do anything worthwhile are the long extendable ones - the short ones are only really useful for making people aware as the vast majority of board losses happen in cases where there is no possibility to have the short one attached anyway.

Leashes aside, I rank a board loss up there with setting off an avi above someone, if not higher, so if you need a leash to keep your board close, do it!

It is not just the noobs...my biggest concern is the kids. They don't really get the importance of looking both ways before they cross the street, they don't check expiration labels before they chug back on the milk - AND they don't often hang on to thier boards when they clip in and out....

That's why I am sticking my 2 littlies in a LONG leash.

Originally Posted By: gogalago
kumapix >I don't see how a leash raises awareness that runaway boards can kill

because making a noob do something ten times a day on their first couple of days out gets them to wonder about why they are doing it?

yes, so they don't lose their board while they're strapped in to their unreleaseable bindings lol.gif

I still say it's illogical to link making someone use a leash and in doing so realize that runaways boards can kill. I'd say most people just assume it's so they don't lose their boards (only thinking about their inconvenience)