That toy was ace. I had one too. The one I liked best after that was my whirlybird helicopter. Can't quite remember the name of that, it was on the end of a cable and went round and round and I could control the speed and up and down. Oh what was the name.....

Knievel did time for beating up someone with a Baseball bat. He was a really clever guy.

Smashing peoples knees with a baseball bat is is the cleverest thinkingest thing I've ever come across in my life.

He's a real hero, I encourage my children to be like him :finger:

Knievel and Irwin were both Jerks. Knievel to the point that a physical attack put him in prison for a year.

Irwin and Knievel were both self-publicising twerps. Knievel used to smash himself up on an annual basis. I see nothing admirable here

My records show that Mike Hailwood won about 150 of the 250 international races he entered. He was indisputably the best in the world during his time. His worst injury was a broken finger. Hailwood was the best.

Hailwood managed to be the best by taking on the world and winning.

Irwin made himself famous by offering up his baby as crocodile food, and demonstrating that his reactions are slower than than a reptile's. It is a pity he is dead. He could have made a mint by feeding other people's babies to crocodiles. Watching babies being eaten by a crocodile makes great reality TV.

Knievel made himself famous by failing to land jumps and smashing himself up. When his agent failed to pay him, he and his mates assaulted the agent with baseball bats. knievel did a year for assault. Nothing admirable here.

I used to be an ardent fan of motocross. That was in the days when it was Motorcycle Scrambles, and it was a race around a muddy field. Now it is all about air time, and no different from boarding. Being in the air means slowing with no power down. Scrambles has moved from being racing to ice dancing. Knievel should have worn a pink tutu; then he would have really appealed to the snowboard/half pipe generation.

I'm not bitter about this 2pints. I don't give a rats about how rich and famous these jerks are. Personally, I'm very happy to be no-one. I'll save my admiration for those who have achieved something real. Irwin and Knievel don't feature on my list of achievers.

I find the psychology here totally bizarre. The HELMET should be worn to save one's brain while skiing/boarding. Non-conformers are guilty of contempt. Boarding people (surfers?) seem to be the most rigid and conformist people here.

Fark your rules. I'm skiing without a helmet this year. I'm offering one finger to the boarders, the fashion thing is laughable. Getting stuffed

Funds and projects created and funded by the Irwins

Australian Wildlife Hospital… Rescue and rehabilitation of sick and injured animals. Incorporates training for student vetinarians

Australian Wildlife Conservation……A team of Wildlife Warriors Worldwide animal experts, including researchers and veterinarians, have provided advice and services to respond to situations that are placing wildlife in jeopardy.

Tiger conservation unit……India, Sumatra, Bhutan

Keeping the Tiger Conservation and Protection Units (TCPU) in operation. The TCPU consists of mobile teams of four trained personnel that conduct forest patrols and investigate reports of poaching and other environmental crimes. Working with local communities. We offer practical solutions to mitigate conflict between local villagers and wildlife, and educate local villagers on environmental protection. Each TCPU (Tiger Conservation and Protection Unit) costs approximately $87,000 and includes: Education ?Training?Vehicles?Communication equipment?Surveillance equipment?Camping/general equipment?Community education

Tsunami Relief….. In late January 2005, representatives from Australia Zoo and Wildlife Warriors Worldwide visited tsunami-devastated areas of Aceh. The purpose of the trip was twofold: to deliver urgently required veterinary supplies for elephants working to recover bodies from the disaster area, and to provide humanitarian aid to forest guards affected by the disaster.

Cheeta conservation…. Wildlife Warriors are working in partnership with De Wildt Cheetah and Wildlife Centre in South Africa to track and relocate problem cheetahs away from local villages.

Crocodile Conservation….. Wildlife Warriors Worldwide is working on important research programs in Queensland (Australia) with the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service and the University of Queensland to better understand the movements and habits of crocodiles, in an effort to facilitate the planning of community developments and potential animal relocation. The results from this research are already re-writing text books and will help to protect both crocodilian and human populations.

Elephant conservation….. Working in partnership with Fauna and Flora International in Cambodia, we are investing in a range of strategies to prevent the destruction of habitat and helping local villages to co-exist with the elephant. Securing the income of farmers affected by the local elephant populations is a main priority in mitigating human-elephant conflict (often referred to as HEC).

Included in these strategies is the planting of chilli around crops (elephants hate chilli), helping to recover property loss as a result of elephant activity, the implementation of educational campaigns, elephant tracking, anti-poaching patrols and prevention of illegal logging. The work is extensive and intense, and is helping to build a future in which the protection of this amazing gentle giant is assured.

The Irwin Foundation…. Since 1995, funding from The Irwin Foundation has provided scholarships and assisted other programs to support veterinary education, including:

Scholarships

0. James and Claire Irwin Scholarship Fund at Michigan State University

0. The Tracy Hammer Endowed Fellowship

0. The Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital at Cornell University

0. The Veterinary Technician Scholarship Fund at Michigan State University

0. The Veterinary Technician Scholarship Fund at Purdue University

0. Marine Corps Scholarship Fund

University of Pennsylvania Opportunity Scholarship

Add to this countless hour of tourism promotion boosting Northern Australia’s tourism industry immeasurably all done for free

Explain to me why you don't see any of this as aceivement.

Evel Kenevel- Jerk? Dickhead? .....sure, I'm not gunna argue with you there. It's the size of his balls I admired.

As for Steve feeding his child to a crocodile, C,mon, keep it real Soubs. He did a very silly thing taking his kid in there which he regretted later. He didn't feed the croc with his kid.

I'm not as cynical as you Soubs, I don't judge people based on their bad points only.

How would you like to be judged solely on the silly things you've done in your life Soubs?

My ex- spent 3 months listing my failures, mantas. Six years later, she's still going. I'm sure that in ten years time, she will still be reciting chapter and verse. Perfect, are you mantas?

Steve Irwin put max effort into portraying himself as a dickhead. He succeeded. Cor blimey Mate! This is a really dangerous animal. I'm right up it's arsehole and well within striking range! I'm taking a really stupid risk, but being a dickhead on TV pays me a mint.

Whoopsy, I'm dead.

Knievel's contribution was solely to the power-off. The last time I studied physics, being in the air means no power to the ground and slowing. Yawn.

FWIW, He didn't actually hold any world records. Serious Others had actually done bigger and better. White leathers with stars don't do it for me.

okay, the reality is that nobody is perfect, everybody makes bad decisions, society is based on punishment and forgiveness in order to allow for growth and Americans love flashy, highspeed, big air tricks that carry big risks and require big balls.

Now go pout about why whatever hero is mentioned is unacceptable to your standards.

I never was very big on heroes, except, perhaps, Mike Hailwood. My opinion of Knievel was formed at the time these events were current. We all make mistakes, I make plenty. Setting out to get someone, and smashing their arm with a baseball bat isn't a mistake or youthful indiscretion. It's thuggery.

I know almost nothing about Evil Kneivel.

I know a bit more about Steve Irwin, who I thought did many many good things.

Even if I did not like them personally, and they made mistakes in their life - as we all do - I find it rather distasteful and sad for people to make comments such as some on here and in that Irwin thread. I feel sorry for those people.

Originally Posted By: the snowboarding vicar

I know a bit more about Steve Irwin, who I thought did many many good things.

Yes he did. Some of which is listed above. I'm still waiting for a my attached question to be anwsered.

That's a fair list, mantas, I'll concede.

I formed an opinion when I first saw him handling animals, that he was going to get himself killed. When I saw him with his child, I felt that he would also get someone else killed. I'm pleased to be proven wrong on the second point, but I wouldn't want him on my team in the bush.

Just to claify some points.

Evel wasnt from California: he was from Butte Montana.

He didnt try to jump the Grand Canyon, it was Snake River Canyon.

He was showman and an entertainer and he was extreme before the competitors in todays X-Games had even been born.

He also had plenty of skeletons in his closet.

The fact he made it to 69 is quite amazing really, his body was an absolute wreck.

I'm disappointed to hear that it wasn't spelt "Evil".

The stuff he did mightn't seem like much now but I bet it was far more dangerous than the X Games. As was Formula 1 in the 1970s.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
That's a fair list, mantas, I'll concede.

I formed an opinion when I first saw him handling animals, that he was going to get himself killed. When I saw him with his child, I felt that he would also get someone else killed. I'm pleased to be proven wrong on the second point, but I wouldn't want him on my team in the bush.

Fair comment Soubs, you thought he was a dickhead, a lot of people did. i can understand why. He did some silly things. However I think he did way more good things with his life. I took the kids to Australia Zoo early this year and I was blown away by what he has created and the type of programs he got under way both here and overseas.
 Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I was positive that he tried to jump the Grand Canyon......silly bugger

the US Govt would never give him the permission.

Originally Posted By: joshnii
I thought he was "Evil".
I am also disappointed.

Was Evel his real name?
His real name was Robert Craig Knievil Jr.

lifted from Wikipedia
After one particular police chase in 1956 in which he crashed his motorcycle, Knievel was taken to jail on a charge of reckless driving. When the night jailer came around to check the roll, he noted Robert Knievel in one cell and William Knofel in the other. Knofel was well known as "Awful Knofel" ("awful" rhyming with "Knofel") so Knievel began to be referred to as Evel Knievel ("Evel" rhyming with "Knievel"). He chose this misspelling because of his last name and because he didn't want to be considered "evil."

the last part is ironic as he was no saint, being "Evil" would have fuelled his hype even more.