Hey, how many of you ski with tethers? I've never done it before but I have some new skis on the way and I really don't want to lose one.. I can see it being dangerous sometimes. If a ski snapped back and cut my face it might jeapordize my modeling career! Do I have to worry?

are you worried about losing in deep snow, or off a gigantic cliff or something that would deem it unreachable?

if deep snow is your concern, just get some bright cloth straps about a meter long, attach them to your bindings and tuck the rest into pants... but don't actually attach it to your ankle.

now... when you fall, you'll spot the bright flag somewhere.

you can buy them for quite cheap.

Only tether when riding in deep deep snow and you should be fine.

(-no need to tether when screaming down the groomers at high speed or jumping in the park -situations where a wipeout could cause damage)

I would have thought 'tethers' ie. being tied to your skiis would be dangerous in deep snow too unless you ski pretty slowly. I've never seen anyone using these.

The fluro colour powder tracer things that Samurai described are a better bet if you are worried about being able to find your ski(s) in deep snow. They are made of really light nylon, like a kite, in very bright colours and would seem to make sense (although stuffing them back securely in your cuffs could be a pain if you fall over alot!)

means what?

1) 'I agree with Samurai, whereas tethers are going back to 70s - don't do that.'

or

2) 'What Samurai described is going back to the 70s - don't do that.'

???

Now repeat "Grammar is good as it serves a communicative purpose." to yourself 20 times.

hahaha, actually FT you're not that far wrong. When you read, the brain will look for patterns of letters, as opposed to exact individual letters, allowing you to skim read. Thats why you can read something and not notice its been spelt wrong until someone points it out to you.

Amazing the tricks that happen when you take a sophisticated thing like the eye - and send the detailed information from it to the sophisticated and complex brain via the rickety old neanderthal optic nerve!! LOL!

it works for me too. and it's not rip a fakie backside 7; it's throw a fakie rodeo/misty/d-spin 7. backside has nothing to do with skiing.

and rip is something you do on the snow. Rip turns, rip a line, rip a tree tree segment, rip a slab... etc. Throw is all about air.

come on, dude.

Originally Posted By: samurai
it works for me too. and it's not rip a fakie backside 7; it's throw a fakie rodeo/misty/d-spin 7. backside has nothing to do with skiing.

and rip is something you do on the snow. Rip turns, rip a line, rip a tree tree segment, rip a slab... etc. Throw is all about air.

come on, dude.

show off

Tethers were what we had when I started skiing. Stack and the skis can come round and shred you. Happened to a mate.

My Naxos come with tethers but I won't be using them. Like samurai I ski a no fall policy and haven't had a release in 4 seasons

Originally Posted By: thursday

come on, dude.

show off

Yeah, right. I believe Samurai said he'd never do anything again that might result in a fall because he's gettin too old for that sht. I think he's just reminiscing his fading youth ;\)
 Originally Posted By: ger
 Originally Posted By: thursday

come on, dude.

show off

Yeah, right. I believe Samurai said he'd never do anything again that might result in a fall because he's gettin too old for that sht. I think he's just reminiscing his fading youth ;\)

Hence a bit sarcasm guys, eh? Am I alone here?

You're kinda right. but you did misquote me. Just because I avoid falls doesn't mean I don't take risks. it just means I understand them more now... and I don't fall. Falling is where injuries happen.

However, I will be viewed as a show off. Not because I choose to, but because it comes with the territory. To be honest, it kinda sucks. Once you reach a certain level, partners are hard to come by.

Skiing alone sucks... but non-upper-level friends are always using some inferior language to signify their own lack of confidence. I fricking hate how people can think that once you've reached some level, that they're not good enough to ride with you anymore. (all of you upper-level riders know exactly what I'm talking about. And- all of you non-upper level riders are calling me cocky right now... get it?)

You try to convince people that it will be fun to go riding together, but they always feel like they're holding you back from what you would be doing without them. It sucks.

Call me a show off. Ok... now come keep up. And, don't feel bad when I don't care that you can't. It goes both ways. I honestly don't give a shit. I'll meet you at the fricking chair. That's how the system works- you get off the chair... say where you'll meet... then go... then meet and laugh at how fun it was. None of this "show off" crap.

My wife can't even get her head around that. Yeah, I used to be pro. But I quite enjoy hanging out with people on chair lifts.

Don't mind me, I'm drunk... and pissed off that there arrives another winter without other hard-core riders in my area... Instead, I'll spend the winter teaching people how to meet at the bottom. Along the way, I'll get called showoff... and linger snowjapan while I give advice about powder straps. Why? because it suits the whiskey. And if somebody doesn't tell you guys to shut up about show offs, then nobody will. It comes with the territory, if you will. Once again, we show offs don't give a shit it. We just wanna keep laughing on the chair.