• SnowJapan Admin
OK we have had enough of this and so have other people. The "taking shots", in this thread and the others, stops right now. Any taking of further shots (whether it be towards other members or us), talkback, "witty" comments or sarcasm on this issue and people risk posting rights being taken away. Don't push us into doing that, please.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In what way mate seriously in what way. You brought up totally old crap posted last season. You have tried to take cheap shots at me. How that has contributed to anything is beyond me.

While we built a community here of friends You sat back and did nothing but lurk. You now think that you are contributing? You have been to how many resorts in Japan? Ive at least gone out and tried to ski other resorts and build this community. You want to try to knock me back with Niseko is steep. Well it ain't mate it ain't.

Contributing is submitting photos.

Writing articles

Testing the site

Putting on parties so that people can build something

Giving solid advice

Here is your contribution 20 shots my way. Your idea of what a community is and how to build it is pretty far off. I have directed many poster to GN or others that wanted good advice or help about Niseko. The problem is your part time lurking didn't read that. Your attacks have only proven how much you don't know about SJ or about what Japanese skiing is. There is more to Japan than Niseko. I love how you call your own guests names like Yobos shows how dumb and narrow minded you truly are.

I'm thinking i'm jut going to book my flight for the first two weeks of february (when i have time off). And choose a ski resort closer to the date (ie see how the season is panning out).

In terms of $$, what are the 'penalties' for booking accommodation/lift package on short notice? In australia, its massive but in the US, you can always find cheap accommodation at that time of year. I'd be thinking a Ryokan or something 'authentic' like that.

or should i book now?

I really appreciate all of your feedback...I now have a much better grasp for what to expect - thanks...

p.s. in terms of contribution to the forum, my post in the link below has had little response but will be the best that i can do..

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/243883#Post243883

You can always try it out closer to the date.

2006-2007 season my hubby managed to get accomodation with one weeks notice at Snowgums Niseko for 4. They loved it. And then we booked in early Feb for April for a large group at Gondola Chalets.

However we struggled to get dates in January 08 for the large group at the premium accomodation booking IN April as we were leaving. We got some, but it was hard work.

What I am trying to say is - Yeah sure, leave it to later to decide if you want...you might get lucky. But be prepared you might not.

It would be good if the Japan Ski Accomodations could get into using a service like 'last minute dot com' or 'wotif' ... Especially the places that will be welcoming and are wanting more touro's to boost income and popularity.

Thats one of the busiest seasons here mate! So, booking it at the last minute you might not find a place - or you could be pretty far away. If its over the long weekend...Feb 9,10,11, then expect prices to go up more as well. Hope you find something late in the game!

I dont think it will be impossible to get anything but you wont have great choices. Check in with JAL, JTB and the Niseko toruism office to find places that might not be full. Someplaces arent advertising in English and will be off the radar so to speak.

In Niseko, the 2nd to the 9th Feb are pretty full at the moment but contacting a couple of the property management companies will let you know just how full. It is also Yuki Matsuri in Sapporo so might be a good time to come skiing and then see the festival too.

I may as well throw in my 2 cents here given that I have little else to do. I do a lot of travelling all around Japan and have spent a lot of time in most of the major resorts. Firstly, I am not so sure why, with fat skis and snowboards, there is this huge emphasis on how dry the snow is. Nowhere in Japan is the snow as heavy as, say, the Sierras or PNW, from my experience on average but anything could happen on any given day.

That said, Hokkaido's snow is the lightest and comparable in water content to the Cottonwoods in Utah but with far more regular "top ups". So, for fluffy snow that will blow up in your face and give you face shots even at 20 degree aspects, Hokkaido is the place. Gifu and Niigata is the wettest, from my experience but still as good as whistler on a good day (at the high resorts, the low resorts only get cement and should be skied only for park or moguls). Gifu and Niigata get the most snow. I have spent 50+ day seasons in Niigata and never got goggle tan or even removed my low light lenses because of constant poundings of snow. Because this snow is a bit wetter, it holds its depth better when it settles and creates great base for late season spring skiing or park. Nagano is in the middle, closer to what I have seen in the Kooteneys but, again, with more snow. So, if snow qualiity is really, really important to you, go to Hokkaido.

I refuse to get into the terrain debate I would just stay, unless you are staying in FTs pension, stay away from Hakuba. There is nothing to see there, especially if you are an Aussie resort development company.

I have pretty much settled on the Nagano region (Nosawa Onsen to begin). Topo maps look impressive, selection seams immense and snowfall data indicates more than enough on an average season for a good time. My only worry is that i can only come in Feb (feb 1 to be precise), which is slightly outside the average "heavy snowfall" window but, hopefully i'll see some good days, weather can play funny games and do its thing as it pleases.

Since we will have 19 days (just booked my tickets!!), i figure i can track the snow and do some sightseeing in between and nagano appears to be very accessible.

Thanks for all the help, might follow up on accommodation recommendations at some point!

Cheers, lp

Budget lodge nagano I think is the only one right now.

Tis site has lots of options check them out.

Feb is a great time in Noz. Snow base is great and you dont need a big fall to have fun. YOu can also branch out of Noz if you arent getting the snow and other places are. 2 to 3 hours to Shiga, Hakuba, Yuzawa, Myoko.

FT, do you mean the only place with vacancy in Feb? Does it get that busy? we only plan on hanging around midweek (i hate crowds) and sightseeing on weekends. Figured i would have my choice of place??

yer we are planning on hiring a car (cheaper than a 21 day rail pass for two people) so we could move around if the week we are there doesn't go nozawa's way...

Ipak look into the 4 day flexible JR east pass. This season bookings seem to be picking up across Nagano. Quite a bit of overflow and people on their 3rd to 4th trip to Japan. I sugjest looking at how the bookings are down there now. If you are with your girl this nice little place called mominoki is my fav.