short-term english teaching and snowboarding

Hi all!

I'm thinking about coming to Japan, probably Hokkaido, for a couple months of snowboarding this winter.

Does anyone have any idea if it's possible to find short-term work as an English teacher anywhere near a good resort?

I have teaching experience and would be very flexible in doing private lessons, etc...

Anybody think I'd have a chance of finding anything like that?

Thanks!

I'd guess though if you base yourself in Sapporo then you'll pick up students cos its a pretty big city. That'd be your best bet IMO rather than in a resort town, just have to do a bit of train/ bus jumping around Hokkaido

just a few months of privates sounds like wwaaaay more of a headache than I would care to indulge for a few months of riding. Just save your cash, budget yourself and skip all the research, set-up, scheduling, management, blah, blah and do it right.

You're not going to come out ahead by working a few hours a week to ride everyday. Just do it like the broke pros do it, save and budget. 99% of the guys on the world tour aren't rich or have any financial support. I know, that was me. and I see people pull off entire seasons abroad all the time.

"But I just want a job to cover the bills."

Are you really willing to lose at least half of your riding time because you spent so many months preparing for a part-time job? when you could have been saving and planning?

If you don't have a job lined up now for this winter, you're not going to have one. Unless, your primary motive is to outbid 5000 ex-nova teachers and establish a teaching career. (Oh wait... you said snowboarding.) Yeah, come to Japan to ride, just don't f around with teaching english as a means to subsidize it... at least now, anyway. Now, in October, you should be focusing your energy on how to best save your finances and minimize your expenses.

It takes time to hook up jobs, and if you find yourself working = less time on the Mountains as mentioned.

Long gone are the days of rocking up and getting easy 10,000yen an hour privates. These days with no exp you'd be lucky to get 2,000 fresh off the boat.

If you are desperate get a resort job in the evening so it doesn't affect your snow time.

Best advice I could give is stuff the work and just come here to play.

Originally Posted By: samurai
just a few months of privates sounds like wwaaaay more of a headache than I would care to indulge for a few months of riding. Just save your cash, budget yourself and skip all the research, set-up, scheduling, management, blah, blah and do it right.

You're not going to come out ahead by working a few hours a week to ride everyday. Just do it like the broke pros do it, save and budget. 99% of the guys on the world tour aren't rich or have any financial support. I know, that was me. and I see people pull off entire seasons abroad all the time.

"But I just want a job to cover the bills."
Are you really willing to lose at least half of your riding time because you spent so many months preparing for a part-time job? when you could have been saving and planning?

If you don't have a job lined up now for this winter, you're not going to have one. Unless, your primary motive is to outbid 5000 ex-nova teachers and establish a teaching career. (Oh wait... you said snowboarding.) Yeah, come to Japan to ride, just don't f around with teaching english as a means to subsidize it... at least now, anyway. Now, in October, you should be focusing your energy on how to best save your finances and minimize your expenses.

WORD.
I couldn't have put it better myself (plus I can very rarely be arsed to write such long and accurate answers).
 Originally Posted By: Indo
These days with no exp you'd be lucky to get 2,000 fresh off the boat.

I have more than a year's experience, and if it was in the evening and convenient, 2,000 seems it could be worth it.

If you are desperate get a resort job in the evening so it doesn't affect your snow time.

What kind of resort jobs are available for non-speakers of Japanese?

If I were to just stuff work (which doesn't sound too terrible), how much would I have to budget for, say, two months of riding at the best mountain in Hokkaido? Assuming I don't go out too much at night, have a small room, eat cheaply, etc...?

Most of the main companies in Niseko would have filled their winter positions already (or are currently scrambling to do so) so if you want to try that route you'd better send in an application real soon. Many people do pull out last minute for various reasons, some get visa applications knowcked back, so it's worth a try. That is if you really want to work. I agree with the others saying save, save, save and just board everyday.

Originally Posted By: elgreengeeto
These days with no exp you'd be lucky to get 2,000 fresh off the boat.

I have more than a year's experience, and if it was in the evening and convenient, 2,000 seems it could be worth it.

You'd be spending more than that on lunch.
 Originally Posted By: elgreengeeto

If I were to just stuff work (which doesn't sound too terrible), how much would I have to budget for, say, two months of riding at the best mountain in Hokkaido? Assuming I don't go out too much at night, have a small room, eat cheaply, etc...?

55,000 a month for room and ??? for lift tix.
The rest depends on how povo you can live.
I used to be able to do the cup ramen lifestyle but I aim a little higher these days!

Lunch

500 to 800 yen for lunch from the convenience store or 800 to 2,000 in a restaurant. 500 to 600 yen for a Macdonalds "meal"

Dinner

1,500 to 3,500 for dinner out (or back to the convenience store)

Beer

100 to 800yen each. Average about 4 or 500 yen.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

After some deliberation, I've decided that if I'm not going to be trying to work while riding, I'm going to go do some back country riding in Kamchatka instead. ^_^

Any of you guys ever head up there or to Sakhalin?