According to doctors, skiing can be a dangerous activity - the so called "phantom foot" scenario can result in serious knee injury - a snapped ACL can require surgury, and you wont be doing any more skiing for a while. Boarders can be prone to other types of injury. Our learned friends in the medical professions advise us that we can reduce our chance of such injuries with appropriate pre-season training - for example, knees can be protected by strengthening the quads, hamstrings calfs etc. With this advice in mind, Ive been trying to do more excersises at the gym such as squats, leg curls and leg extensions. Im also playing footy for half an hour every lunch.

What pre season training are people doing? Do you have any tips? Perhaps you go cycling or jogging, or maybe you are lucky enough to live in the mountains and get lots of autumn hiking done in preparation! Im sure there are quite a few out there who dont do anything - maybe just take it easy the first few outings and put up with the burning muscles...!

I think you are presuming everyone else here is as fit & buff as you? =) , I think you just scared off tonnes of people mate.

it's called Denial. We all do it very well =)

I would say Mountain Biking. Good for back, legs, stomach etc.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Yes, skiing is a dangerous sport....I fractured my tailbone and collarbone and had 3 really bad concussions and countless minor injuries all in one season!!!

Right now I am biking, jogging, weight training and trampolining. I agree with the above poster, biking is the best. Builds those quads and not so damaging to your knees (compared to jogging that is). Ganbare and see you on the hill!

I hope I havent scared anyone off! Unfortunately, Im neither particularly fit nor buff - I started going to the gym more regularly and playing the football, but I also started eating the huge, cheap teishoku at lunchtime since I started my new job! I definately wouldnt mind doing some biking - my bike really isnt up to mountains though - come to think of it - neither am I! I think the squat is a good all-round lower body excersise - but make sure you keep your back straight!

Squats - when properly done - are great, but they still do little to nothing for hamstrings. Having burly quads and no hamstrings is setting yourself up for knee ligament injury, so make sure to get some leg curls in. This is especially true for skiers and riders since we our snow activities tend to engage our quads far more than our hamstrings, often resulting in imbalance.

Lower back exercises are key as well, but often overlooked. (I don't skip 'em anymore, especially since my two herniated discs. Argh.)

Soubs and I must have the same physical trainer. In my 20+ years of skiing I have never really done any pre season training. That's not to say I don't see the benefits of it.....it's just I'm a lazy prick.

imho riding a bike up hills up off the seat is the best for skiing/boarding getting fit...

and for boarders i think some sort of ab workout would be helpful because boarding seems to work on your stomach muscles for some strange reason..

I am out of the gym for more than 4 months, befor I used to go 3-4 times a week doing a 2 hours program. I think I was doing the squats with more weight than I should, my body position was not bad (according to the trainer). I was doing sets at the time with 20 k more than my total body weight during the week, and then snowboarding during the weekend. Thats how I got my heriated disc.

The docks said that it is important now to keep working out, but change the squats with some leg press and staff.

Well I have a lot of exercise experience, and would recommend the following, if time / equipment allows.

Legs : squats, leg curls : Not many realise this but squats if done properly actually works virtually every muscle in your body, although the most concentration is on the thighs.

Calve raises. For the lower legs. No good having beafy thighs and weedly underpins. Skiing punishes calves more than a lot think.

Back ; T-bar, rows : good for the mid upper back

Good morning exercise. good for streghtning the lower back.

Deadlift : Good for strenghning your legs and lower back, but start very, very light if you are not used to it.

Shoulder press, dumbell press : good for strenghning the shoulders

Can work all areas of the shoulders by lifting weights from a different position.

Arms : Barbell / dumbell curls, or for some of you here, maybe rather than lifting a glass of beer to your mouth try curling the actual bear barrel.

Chest : maybe not so required for skiing, but what the hell if you got time to work out do all your body not just parts of it.

Bench press: either barbells or dumbells.

Cycling up and down hills, cycling on flat ground don't do shit, I could cycle all day on flat ground and not even feel I have done anything. Japan has lots of hills why not use them.

Everyone likes to ski down them, so how about start a new trend, cycle up them.

Swimming is even better as it actually work every muscle in your body, even your hands and feet. Also gives your respiratory system a good pumping too.

Could also try pre-season shagging it's amazing what parts of the body can get exercised then. LOL

And of course for any sports one of the most important factors that so many of us over look is stretching.

Many think oh I can't be bothered or it's a waste of time, I am flexible enough anyway, but it should be done before any sport it really does make a difference.

Obviously not everyone here has so much time for exercise, in that case try to do at least some exercise. Even just stretching in your room for 10 mins a day is better than nothing. And be sure to stretch before skiing and even during, this will also help relieve the pain simptons the next day for those of you who suffer.

Ok that's it for me, sorry I tried to make it funny, probably failed, but anyway hope you find some useful points here.

Some good advice here, I think. My old housemate was in training for the Canadian bobsleigh team - he was huge and he swore by the squats - he recommended doing something called "blocking" which involves holding your breath on the main weight-bearing part of the excersise. I think squats do a lot more than doing the leg press (I can leg press 160kg, but squat only 100). At my previous gym, they insisted on people using the belt (provided) for squats - might be a good idea for higher weights. I think its also a good point about balance - I think my quads are a bit stronger than my hamstrings, so maybe I need to work on them more.

I just finished my friday night workout of various booze-based excersises - may I recommend exchanging that can of 300 en Kirin Ichiban, for a 270 yen bottle of Heartland (green bottle - no label) - a delicious booze, and you get half a litre for that price! Pretty drinkable stuff tho, so maybe better after the onsen at the end of the day..!

Originally Posted By: snowdude
Could also try pre-season shagging it's amazing what parts of the body can get exercised then. LOL

And of course for any sports one of the most important factors that so many of us over look is stretching.

I agree with Snowdude exercise tip...I always stretch before and doing this kind of exercise \:D
 Originally Posted By: stemik
 Originally Posted By: snowdude

I agree with Snowdude exercise tip...I always stretch before and doing this kind of exercise \:D

\:D didn't know there was an off season for shagging.