Long (or short) boards suitable for certain areas?

I was just reading a comment in the gear section where someone seemed to be saying that a long board might not be suitable for Niseko? (I may have misunderstood)

Can someone explain why that is?

What conditions are good for long boards or vice-versa?

Thank you!

not sure about why that would be?

longer boards are good in the deep stuff, as they give you more float. however, you sacrifice manourervability. if you get something light and snappy, you can add a few cm to your normal lentgh and not really notice it, unless you're a trick monkey

then there's a whole bunch of powder specific boards that are quite short and stmpy (such as the burton fish)

i've only ever gone longer, but i'd like to try a fish or something similar. the prob with these boards is that they're no supoossed to be much good on piste, so if you're just doing resort riding, and benefits you get in the trees and off-course are outweighed by their chatter on groomed trails.

i'm sure others on here (like AK, kuma, oyuki) know much more than me

the Fish is pretty much powder specific, the waist is really near the tail, so t takes a bit of getting used to in groomed runs. The burton Mahalo and Lib Tech Mullet are pow boards that are easier to ride on groomers.

For Niseko specifically, i'm not sure. I would say that most japanese resorts forcus on groomed runs, so the majority of boards are short.

My feeling about powder is that the steeper the run, the less length you need (the speed will keep you afloat). Conversely, the mellower the slope, the more length you need to compensate. And from most reviews i have heard about Niseko, it is pretty mellow.

I would say a longer board, or a pow-specific.

but thats just me. I'd like to hear what the other pow-sluts here think.

i consider myself a pow slut! but i just like riding pow, trees and fun terrain. very little of what i hit would be considered gnarly

for my height and weight (178cm, 65kg) i guess i would normally ride about a 156, but i ride a 164 cos i like the float and the speed. it's good being able to keep up with heavier friends whose weight gives them a speed advantage.

as long as a bigger board has a resonably narrow waist, don't be afraid of a bit of length.

the reason why I said that on the other thread is because imo the rad air 200cm is more for a place like the alps (high alpine bowls)where you come screaming down and you need the length for stability at high speeds. I think a fish/malolo/mullet/khyber would be better suited for niseko just to have more fun in the trees.

If you compare cars with boards, you might be able to understand the difference easier.

Let’s say that a longer board is like a Mercedes S 600 series and a shorter board is like a WRC Subaru Impreza.

A longer board will provide you stability in really high speeds and steep slopes, but will be hard to manoeuvre in narrow areas. You need an Autobahn like big bowls of powder to enjoy the benefits it provides.

On the other hand a sorter board would be excellent for manoeuvring in narrow areas and ground tricks, but you will sacrifice some of the final speed and stability. It would be unique for a freshly groomed slope or riding the park.

The khyber is ok for groomers but I want something shorter and with less taper for hard pack.

I ve also taken my 152 Burton board in pow. you can ride it but its not that much fun. I like that board in half pipe though because it’s light and manoeuvrable, but it sucks big time when you are speeding.

Originally Posted By: spook
 Originally Posted By: Indo
you a little runt spook!

lol.gif even if i was twice the size, you'd probably still kick the crap outta me!

Not today he wont. he's legs already farked from kicking some other poor dude. lol.gif

how's the malolo go on-piste? i just read a review which says it goes fine switch, but thought i'd ask your opinions... i'm not a crazy switch rider or nothin, i just like messin around with it

and do you ride it shorter than a normal powder board?

was it tricky?

without wanting to drag this off topic, i've never understood how riders with a forward stance (like terje) ride switch - it would be hell weird with both feet pointing backwards

Can't really say kuma. Might be more that I just loved the ride and feel of the malolo more than the nitro. I was having some probs with the stance setup doing something funky with my edges catching on the occasional turn which I have NEVER had before. I also put a shot through to the core (now nicely fixed) at Tsugaike which forced me to use the malolo only for the restof that trip. It all just stacked up in the malolos favour.

Spook the malolo is fine on piste. It is quite a soft board, so no so much pop as I had been used to, but rides nicely.

was it tricky?
without wanting to drag this off topic, i've never understood how riders with a forward stance (like terje) ride switch - it would be hell weird with both feet pointing backwards

yeah, it was super hard. thats why it was fun.

And i don't understand riders like Terje either. I need aeither a centered, duck stance, or to set the board up completely switch.

yeah, i do centered duck too (not that i'm particularly good at it!)

it baffles me when you look at pro setups in the mags and they are forward stance, yet they shred both ways

all this talk is making me hungry for snow

Originally Posted By: Oyuki kigan
was it tricky?

yeah, it was super hard. thats why it was fun.

And i don't understand riders like Terje either. I need aeither a centered, duck stance, or to set the board up completely switch.

Maybe it's cos he's a f'in genius - like breaking the highest air world record on that monster QP last year when he only rides 10-15 days a season now. What?!

Back on topic: To whoever asked...
For powder it either means longer boards, or tapered boards.
Not many places, and certainly nowhere in any resort has the kind of terrain to suit a massive long board, so I'd go with a tapered board, which will give float at slower speed and better manouverability between trees.
Just look up Burton Malolo or Fish, LibTech Snowmuller, Stepchild Ranquet, or whatever others are out there...

I like freestyle and baggy outerwear, so I'm waiting for this season's new twin-tip tapered boards, for float regular and switch.
;\)