I have to say though that having looked at the Western resorts, they're bloody expensive for what you get.

1,000 yen parking seems to be standard. Then they have weaselly shit like 'entrance fees' + 'lift ticket'. That'll be 1,000 yen to stand within the grounds.

Look at this bunkbed accomodation at Geihoku . 7,000 yen for a snorebox, plus, in the small print, 1,000 yen for car parking. That's 8,000 yen for some very unluxurious digs.

snobee, when you go thither, where do you stay?

Hey 0~11 - you're spot about the prices of resorts and accomodation. Out of control!!!!I never go to Geihoku these days. Usually head to Mizuho (possibly THE priciest place in Japan)but it often dumps and has the "good stuff".

There's a variety of pensions/ hotels etc but I can reccomend the Gaia Trailer Cottage (ガイア トレーラコテージ)Caravans that is. Fully self contained, kitchen, shower/toilet, 1 or 2 br at about 5,000 ea.(kids are cheap) Owner(big skier & biker from way back) and staff are nice. Plus you get the thrill of the whole van shaking & pitching during the night if a storm blowz in.

Osorakan is also OK with some cheaper places to stay close by.

I gotta go but I'll dig up some other stuff l'ron.

BTW - Howz Kumalooking/looming???? Ikawa's bopping. \:\)

Good info, thanks snobee. I look forward to the rest. Have you got any trips planned this season? I'm hoping to take lil' H11 somewhere again.

Kuma seemed to be having trouble with their sugar melting earlier and had to close, but they reopened last weekend with a handsome new strip of white that seems to be here to stay. Plus there are two fat snowmen scheduled for all resorts around here over the next two days, and there have been flurries around here too.

If only my right eye didn't look like a flaccid ball of raspberry jelly right now (infection), I'd probably head up there on Sunday. Instead, I'll be sitting at home with my eye drops.

Certainly many of the western slopes been topped up. Mizuho well over 140cm up top. Now that's a good base.Today would've been great if I weren't so damn bizzee. Soon I hope.

0-11 - first trip this year will be to Gifu about Jan.5th for 5 days. May slip in a day @ Ikawa before to test the back, kneez, hip......!

Try to head to Shimane mid Jan.

If you're interested we always do a couple of mid-week one night stays in the"Finland Cottages" at Ikawa every season.(check out their site) Good for the billy lids - no crowds, cheap, very comfortable and because the slopes are so ....er.....well....er...you know, you can always mix sliding with beers, book reading and a general slow down. Probably go first in later Jan. Tap me if you're inclined. \:\)

Planning on having a slide (and a few beers on the bus(><)) up at Mizuho on the 5th. Bus tour includes lift ticket but still expensive.

If I only had a car \:\(

I would like to check out Osorakan as I heard it's one of the best in the West.

Flipside,

Was at Mizuho yesterday and the best thing about it was it was virtually empty!!! eek.gif Couldnt belive our luck out there. The park was so-so. Table top had a nice lip to it but; unfortunately, the half pipe was more of a quarter pipe. Still nice to get some decent air though. I think Mizuho has a better base than Niseko right now!! lol.gif

Regardless, first day out was great! clap.gif But, 6 hours of the park: grabs, 180s and 360s and I can barely move today. "Aleeve" is my best friend today. \:\(

Snobee,

Snow quality was decent. Not powpow or anything but it wasnt crusty either - too warm. Still too much mixture of artifical snow so getting an edge was pretty useless as was stopping but with no crowds there going like a batouttahell didnt matter!! \:D

If anybody is making plans to come out to the wild west lemme know and Ill try to get out there! Cheers.

Yuki's Passion,

I've only been to Mizuho on the weekend so it should be nice to carve it up on Monday the 5th. Only thing is, 8 hours on the bus to get there. Sapporo kuro-label beer shall see me through. \:D Cheers.

ps. can't say I'm a high flyer in the park department but love a little air action of kicks.

Anyone, have any tips to improve my riding goofy? Think, I'll set the back foot back a couple of degrees this year.

Had a nice morning on the one open run at Plana today.

It's amazing how much fun a short narrow strip of artificial snow can be (indeed, with sections of plastic matting poking through.) I may have to visit Mizuho soon...